Echo & Alexa Forums

What search Echo uses?

Mork74

What search Echo uses?
« on: September 23, 2016, 04:27:57 am »
im wanting to ask Alexa lots of questions instead of google search on my tablet

how good is it with results and what search engine does it use or how works?

vegasguy

Re: What search Echo uses?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 05:06:41 am »
Alexa can only answer general facts such as the distance you the moon, capital of a state, number of tablespoons in a cup, facts about famous people. Currently Alexa gets its answers from Wikipedia. If it's not in Wikipedia Alexa probably won't know the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mork74

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:42:44 am »
ok so not sounding good, and now i see google home is coming soon which will have full google search built in

im gonna have to sit this one out and decide in new year it seems
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:08:36 am by Mork74 »

vegasguy

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 07:48:49 am »
Don't be surprised if Google home can't give you the answer your want. 

vegasguy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 07:49:53 am »
Having Google search doesn't mean that it can pick out a one sentence answer out of 3000 pages of search results.

DParker

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 08:14:40 am »
Voice interfaces aren't useful as substitutes for web browsers, no matter what search engine(s) they use.  The nature of the two mediums (rich visual and audio...vs audio only) and their ability to convey information is radically different.

Yoda_One

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 08:19:42 am »
Voice interfaces aren't useful as substitutes for web browsers, no matter what search engine(s) they use.  The nature of the two mediums (rich visual and audio...vs audio only) and their ability to convey information is radically different.
+1

Mork74

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 10:25:05 am »
agreed but im wondering if it will mean better answers to questions

im really hyped for the dot to be honest just by the way it looks and Alexa name but worried google may bring something better

i want to be able to ask questions like the other night i saw trailer to westworld and wanted to advise her about the original but couldnt remember yul brinner name.  so Alexa who was the villian in the film westword.. would i get an answer?

Yoda_One

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 01:19:49 pm »
Maybe you should just use your phone and donate the Dot to someone who knows how to take advantage of its abilities.

Mork74

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 01:30:03 pm »
I'm only trying to ascertain How good it is before bought. Its on preorder

Technical is my job so no issue using it to its full potential I'm just trying to find out more info as opposed to basic on Amazon site.

Note its about to be released in Europe so lots of people with questions

Yoda_One

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 01:42:08 pm »
Amazon Site has a lot of information on how to use their Alexa's AI system with pertinent samples. I use it for reference.

Here is the Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_bc_nav?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201952240

I hope you will take advantage of this site and !NO! it not just the Basics.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 01:28:51 pm by Yoda_One »

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 10:42:15 pm »
Dot is a heck of a lot more useful than for just asking it questions.  We hardly ever ask it factual questions other than "simple" stuff.  THAT is what Google in browser is for!  You will definitely get your money's worth out of Dot -- it costs less than a fancy night out, so it will not take long to re-coup it's minimal cost.