I would like to have Alexa control:
  • NEST thermostat
  • Sonos
  • Harmony hub
  • MyQ garage door
  • Blossom sprinkler controller

Re: What would you like Echo to do?
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2016, 10:31:58 am »
I wish it would say "A.M" or "P.M" after saying the time.

EDIT: For those wondering, I want it to specify A.M or P.M because I have low vision and can't see the small A.M/P.M indicator light (or indicator or whatever) on a standard digital alarm clock. Also, I like to keep my bedroom dark to avoid the bright sunlight which bothers my eyes.

This feature would also be very useful for those who are totally blind and can't see sunlight at all and depend on a clock to tell them if it's morning or night if they have an awkward sleep/wake schedule.

Since a standard digital alarm clock indicates if it's A.M or P.M then I think the Amazon Echo's voice ought to as well. There's really no reason not to do that.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:38:33 pm by PaulKTF »
-Paul.

fstbusa

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2016, 08:36:41 am »

Do you not know whether its am or pm?

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2016, 11:56:54 am »

after a bender?????    :-) 

seriously,  I work nights so there are times when I get up I really do not know if it is am or pm when I first get up - especially on weekends.

mike27oct

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2016, 03:01:26 pm »
@PaulKTF

Do you live in the land of the midnight sun? 
Do you also want Alexa to make you breakfast if it is AM, or dinner if it is PM?

Seriously, put a digital clock on your bedside table.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2016, 08:31:45 pm »
Hehe. There's been a few times when I woke up and saw 5 or 6 o'clock on my clock and wasn't sure if it was morning or night.

after a bender?????    :-) 

seriously,  I work nights so there are times when I get up I really do not know if it is am or pm when I first get up - especially on weekends.

mike27oct

« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2016, 01:37:59 am »
So, the real problem is that your clock, (not the Echo) does not indicate AM or PM.  Time to toss out your analog wind-up clock and replace it with a digital clock that DOES indicate AM or PM.  Mine does.  ::)

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2016, 05:11:51 am »
So, the real problem is that your clock, (not the Echo) does not indicate AM or PM.  Time to toss out your analog wind-up clock and replace it with a digital clock that DOES indicate AM or PM.  Mine does.  ::)

It is still an echo want for the person who asked for it.    I mean if you are going to say put a clock by the bed, might as well say, use the light switches or get online to check the weather or do anything that can be done on the echo manually.  It is a valid want whether you think so or not. 

mike27oct

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2016, 06:02:52 pm »
[quote author=renegade600 It is still an echo want for the person who asked for it.    I mean if you are going to say put a clock by the bed, might as well say, use the light switches or get online to check the weather or do anything that can be done on the echo manually.  It is a valid want whether you think so or not.
[/quote]

I did NOT say it was not a valid Echo want.  Can't you tell when someone is joking around here?  Don't take this chit-chat so seriously. I sure as heck don't.

And, just so folks know:   what we say we want in this thread does not go on to Amazon.  If we want any Amazon product to do something new or differently, we have to contact Amazon, not this forum.

kejones

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2016, 03:28:36 pm »
I'd like to see a remote with intercom capabilities.  That is, a small, 'slave' echo that I could put, say, in the basement and then say, "Alexa, play radio 105 in basement", or, "Alexa, tell basement it's time for dinner" - the latter command would relay the message "it's time for dinner" to the basement slave.

PURPLEPANDA999

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2016, 04:41:47 pm »
I would like to be able to download different voices. Would love a male voice with an English accent.

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2016, 04:55:30 pm »

I did NOT say it was not a valid Echo want.  Can't you tell when someone is joking around here?  Don't take this chit-chat so seriously. I sure as heck don't.

And, just so folks know:   what we say we want in this thread does not go on to Amazon.  If we want any Amazon product to do something new or differently, we have to contact Amazon, not this forum.

actually you did say it was not a valid want just by telling them to use a clock radio in several posts  There was nothing in your postings indicated that you were teasing.  So if you are going to tease you need to do a better job indicating such or others will take it seriously since nobody can read minds. 

As far as what is said in this thread, you are right, it does not go to amazon but it does give suggestions so maybe others will think it is also a good idea and also go to Amazon about it.   The more requests for a want to amazon, the better chance of it being implemented if techincally possible. 

mike27oct

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2016, 05:37:15 pm »

@renegade600

I see that my first comment about a clock was inadvertently addressed to comments  from JWLV, not from Paul, the OP.  My error.  The inference that I implied the OPs want was invalid is your interpretation.

In any event, this is not the sort of thing to keep going back and forth about in here.  I have no further comments to make about the clock issue.

And, (I am not kidding now) BTW, who appointed you Hall Monitor of this useful, albeit obscure little forum?  Please chill out.

« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2016, 11:13:48 am »
I'd like to see a remote with intercom capabilities.  That is, a small, 'slave' echo that I could put, say, in the basement and then say, "Alexa, play radio 105 in basement", or, "Alexa, tell basement it's time for dinner" - the latter command would relay the message "it's time for dinner" to the basement slave.

That is an awesome idea! I would love to have that feature! Did you send it in to Amazon directly via the App? You should.

I forget if I already posted this in this thread, but I'd like to be able to set the alarm to wake me to a specific IHeartRadio or TuneIn station instead of the current short musical tone alarm(s).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:33:12 am by PaulKTF »
-Paul.

nycomet

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2016, 08:29:07 am »
I would like multiple Echo's to sync. For example, if I have one Echo on the main floor near the kitchen, a second Echo upstairs in my bedroom and a thrid in the lower lever family room, they should all connect and function as if they were one Echo (like the Borg do on Star TrekThe Next Generation), not three separate Echos.

The next thing I would like is for the Echo app on my phone to be updated so that I can speak to my Echo via the phone app (similar to the way I speak to Siri). This feature could and should be added to the Amazon Echo app. Amazon appears to have discontinued the Echo remote. Why not add that functionality to the phone app?

It is also annoying that Harmony Hub activities that I set up to control my TV system (Harmony Hub --> Connected to Smartthing Hub--> Connected to Echo) execute perfectly when I voice command Alexa to perform a Harmony activity ie: (Alexa, turn on the History Channel) . HOWEVER, more than half the time, Alexa proclaims that the command does not work on that device -- YET IT DOES. This issue must be something simple for the software engineers to rectify.

Anyway, that is my input for now.

I love my Echo and I use it constantly. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟