Echo & Alexa Forums

What would you like Echo to do?

Giblet

Re: What would you like Echo to do?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 08:30:55 am »
Software:
1) Pair with in-house DLNA music servers (e.g., Netgear ReadyNAS, M$ Windoze, Ubuntu, etc).

2) Philips Hue color scheme setup (from Android maybe) and scheme control.

3) Define custom commands. "Alexa, it's 1999." (Disco music stream starts, Philips Hue light-cycling begins)

4) Advanced status e.g., "Alexa, what are your current DHCP settings?" "Alexa, MAC address."

5) Awareness/interoperability of additional Echoes on the same LAN, each being nameable. "Alexa, ask Uma to tell a joke."

Hardware:
Battery/Ultra-Capacitor power backup of at least 1 minute (time for power to come back or generator to start.)

Ethernet (RJ45) port.

Talisman

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 10:31:01 am »
Good suggestions. I am mainly focused on the using multiple Echos as a group and being able to play the same music on preselected set group areas. "Alexia play music" then just play the music to that one local echo or say "Alexa, play music to whole house." and it would play the same song on all local echos.  Hows that for a programming challenge.

SteveM

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 07:26:00 pm »
Talisman... it sounds like you're trying to duplicate Sonos (and other similar systems). 

Talisman

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 08:17:20 am »
Yes I am :) and why not it is cheaper than sonas, airplay is great but doesn't have the speakers included. The hardware is there just not the programming.. 

Stezyp

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 09:06:30 am »
Also, I'd like Echo to have a little bit of battery back-up. I'd like to use it for an alarm clock, but that would become problematic and an unreliable alarm clock if the electricity goes out.

I use a relatively inexpensive Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) for my critical electronics: router, wireless phone hub, and now, Echo. I use two: one in an office where the router is located and the other in the den/living room for the wireless phone hub and now, Alexa. A quality unit will last five years or more.

Here is San Antonio the outages are usually storm related. The wired AT&T phone always rides through uninterrupted and even the TWC cable system usually does too, as long as the outage is not too widespread. Maintaining telephone and internet connectivities are crucial both for my business and personal needs.

My UPS vendor of choice is CYBERPOWER. An added benefit afforded by UPS is surge and lightning protection. Most quality UPS come with equipment protection replacement warranties as well.

Talisman

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 01:34:52 pm »
How about intergration between echo and Roomba?

TechFan

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 02:32:49 pm »

I would love to see Sonos integration, as well.  I have more 'old school' Sonos gear (now called Connect and Connect:Amp) and it would be great to have a voice interface for it.  I would also like to see it work with my Harmony remote...though I am not sure how feasible that is.  I think I saw that someone has done something with that using IFTTT, but I haven't had time to look into that yet.  BTW, thanks to whoever is behind this forum.  I just got my Echo and while I like it, I am anxious to do more than get the weather and get funny responses from it!

chrisfuccione

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 03:29:22 pm »
I would like it if it/she would be able to shut off muisic after a half an hour or an hour.
I also would love it/her to be able to send text messages

George Jetson

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 09:16:07 pm »
I would like to provide Echo with some of the stocks that I follow.  I would like to ask Alexa  "How are my stocks doing today?"  I would like to have her tell me that "XYZ company was up $1.00 with the current price of $91.00"

George Jetson

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 09:04:56 am »
I would like the ability to choose my own "wake" word. 

Y

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 03:04:08 pm »
George,
Here is a video of someone working on the stock quote integration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0YMYzuEOHg

joez34

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2015, 10:26:36 pm »
Any ideas on how to integrate echo with my voicemail?

At least respond to: "Alexa, were there any calls?"
She could respond with the caller ID info from calls for that day?
Maybe have a modem on a Windows or Linux box that can ID the calls and save them in a file somewhere that the Echo could read?
Or even play back voicemail?
Alexa, Play back my messages from today..

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 02:09:10 pm »
I'd like the ability to set redundant alarms. I use my bedroom Alexa (oh, that sounds so wrong) as my alarm clock. Each night during the week, I have to remind myself to tell her to wake me at 5:30. Why can't I set one alarm for the week and one for weekends?  Is this too much to ask?

monty617

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2015, 11:44:35 am »
Hey guys, quite a few of the things people are requesting is possible with direct IFTTT integration. See post http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,180.0.html for details. Little bit of initial setup, but then allows any IFTTT channel to be utilized. I also highly recommend the Hue Bridge for anyone trying to integrate into home automation.

https://github.com/armzilla/amazon-echo-ha-bridge

Hope this info makes someone happy.  ;D

daveg

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2015, 06:44:08 pm »
I can't get local AM radio in my area at night, so I often use Tunein on an android device to listen. The Tunein app has sleep timer capability.

One of the reasons I got the Echo was to use Tunein on a wired device so I didn't have to mess with recharging. I was deeply disappointed to find that the Echo has no sleep timer capability whatsoever. I enquired with Amazon customer service and they said that they wished it had a sleep timer also and passed it along to development as a suggestion.

I'm really amazed sometimes at some of the common capabilities that should be there are missing.