Echo & Alexa Forums

What can I do with the ECho without a Prime account or a paid Spotify account?

startreksteve

I really want one of these, but I need to know what I can do with it without any kind of paid account. I just want to buy the echo and thats it, Am I wasting my time?

Steve

karlfr

i dont have a prime account and i can do everything i want. (when uk update comes) you should be able to play any music you would like to upload on to amazon music. i use spotify. tunein. all my lights (hue) work as well as turning off my tv, soundbar PS4 etc (harmony hub)

BONUS FEATURE: i use the 'alexa flip a coin' to decide who makes the tea (the wife always wins.. im sure its cause women stick together)

Yoda_One

Nice reply +1

startreksteve

i dont have a prime account and i can do everything i want. (when uk update comes) you should be able to play any music you would like to upload on to amazon music. i use spotify. tunein. all my lights (hue) work as well as turning off my tv, soundbar PS4 etc (harmony hub)

BONUS FEATURE: i use the 'alexa flip a coin' to decide who makes the tea (the wife always wins.. im sure its cause women stick together)
So can the Echo control the power on/off on any device with Bluetooth/WiFi?

DParker

So can the Echo control the power on/off on any device with Bluetooth/WiFi?

The Echo (and Dot and Tap for that matter) can't actually "control" anything (see the latter part of my post here for details: http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,768.msg4705.html#msg4705).  The Dot can stream audio to Bluetooth-enabled rendering devices, but that's as close as it gets to "controlling" those devices (there is no power on/off capability via BT).