Echo & Alexa Forums

Broadlink RM2

bill

Re: Broadlink RM2
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 01:49:58 pm »

Not sure but the Alexa app says 73 Smart Home devices found.  Out of those, 21 are Broadlink controlled devices.  Keep in mind I am using RM Bridge instead of RM Tasker because I also use a SmartThings hub.  This setup has been so much better for me than just using RM Tasker.
[/quote]

thanks for the reply

At least i know that what I am trying to do is theoretically possible now.

When things work they do work very well.

cheers

EmersonJake

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2016, 07:50:56 am »
Hi peeps.

I am new to the Alexa (just got the dot 2nd gen) and I'm having trouble with my device discovery.

I have a couple of plugs, 1 rmpro and 2rm3. But my echo can't seem to find it.

I am quite familiar with tasker and I've been using the RM tasker plugin (with autovoice) thru my phone. That's why I got the dot because I saw on the Alexa integration on RM plugin and I wanted to have a permanent voice control at home (without using my phone)

My RM Tasker (bridge) is on an android box (with direct LAN connection and static ip) and my Amazon Alexa app is on my phone (also with static ip assigned manually from my router). I've tried resetting and all but it cant find the device.

I followed the steps, but I can't make it work.

Thanks in advance for those who can help me out.

Hope my echo dot purchase wont be a waste... :(

bill

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 08:09:00 am »
Hi peeps.

I am new to the Alexa (just got the dot 2nd gen) and I'm having trouble with my device discovery.

I have a couple of plugs, 1 rmpro and 2rm3. But my echo can't seem to find it.

I am quite familiar with tasker and I've been using the RM tasker plugin (with autovoice) thru my phone. That's why I got the dot because I saw on the Alexa integration on RM plugin and I wanted to have a permanent voice control at home (without using my phone)

My RM Tasker (bridge) is on an android box (with direct LAN connection and static ip) and my Amazon Alexa app is on my phone (also with static ip assigned manually from my router). I've tried resetting and all but it cant find the device.

I followed the steps, but I can't make it work.

Thanks in advance for those who can help me out.

Hope my echo dot purchase wont be a waste... :(

I am pretty sure that the connection needs to be wireless for the plugin to work.

Cheers

EmersonJake

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2016, 08:29:10 am »
Hi Bill!

Thanks for replying.

I tried switching my android box (with RM Tasker) to wifi and tried both static and dynamic IPs, but still can't find my devices.

Also tried logging out and back in on the Amazon Alexa app.

Cant figure out what Im doing wrong...

And Im about to grab a stick and just hit this puck! :)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

inconnu_homme

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2016, 02:48:20 pm »
Hi Bill!

Thanks for replying.

I tried switching my android box (with RM Tasker) to wifi and tried both static and dynamic IPs, but still can't find my devices.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

If you read the reviews on RM Tasker, you will see others are having the same issue of Alexa not discovering your devices.  Not sure what is happening in your case, but maybe your router is blocking a necessary port?

It's more involved, but I would use RM Bridge instead.  I run this on a wired android box and it has been more reliable than RM Tasker.

EmersonJake

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2016, 07:07:30 pm »
Hi Bill!

Thanks for replying.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

If you read the reviews on RM Tasker, you will see others are having the same issue of Alexa not discovering your devices.  Not sure what is happening in your case, but maybe your router is blocking a necessary port?

It's more involved, but I would use RM Bridge instead.  I run this on a wired android box and it has been more reliable than RM Tasker.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the bridge (and I hope I can follow the instructions correctly).

Will post an update soon.

;)

EmersonJake

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2016, 10:46:39 pm »
Hi!

Just to update... I was able to use my Android TV box (with Static IP assignment) to be the RM Tasker (Alexa hub). I had to start from scratch (twice, actually) to make it work. But for Echo to discover every control/device, I needed to perform device discovery a lot of times. It also required me to reset the tv box a few times as well in order for echo to see the other devices. It took some time, but it worked.

It also helps to assign a static IP for the echo dots. commands become a bit faster... :)

Cheers, everyone!

bill

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2016, 10:28:05 am »
Hi!

Just to update... I was able to use my Android TV box (with Static IP assignment) to be the RM Tasker (Alexa hub). I had to start from scratch (twice, actually) to make it work. But for Echo to discover every control/device, I needed to perform device discovery a lot of times. It also required me to reset the tv box a few times as well in order for echo to see the other devices. It took some time, but it worked.

It also helps to assign a static IP for the echo dots. commands become a bit faster... :)

Good to hear you are making progress

I also have mine working now (with 26 devices)

For one of the devices which was not recognized I deleted it and set it up identically (which worked)

My bridge is wireless as I could not get it to work on Ethernet

Cheers

Cheers, everyone!

inconnu_homme

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2016, 11:31:59 am »
Hi!

Cheers, everyone!

Good to hear its working out for you.  I (and many others) have had the problem with RM Tasker timing out for some reason or another.  So if your commands suddenly stop working, this might be the case.  To get around this, I used regular Tasker to wake up RM Tasker every hour.  As you just experienced, RM Tasker is very finicky.  That's why I ultimately switched to the more stable RM Bridge.

dtabashov

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 05:29:42 am »
Same happened to me - initially successfully configured RM Tasker Lite - worked like a charm, fast, very usable.
Later decided to switch to full version, purchased it, deleted lite version - and had no luck configuring the full RM Tasker. Alexa cannot find the devices I had created. Tried deleting old devices from Alexa app, rebooting all devices - did not help :(

Burningsky

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 04:54:21 am »
Items needed:
-Broadlink RM Device
-Broadlink e-Control app (free - Google Play Store)
-Broadlink RM Tasker Plugin ($5.49 - Google Play store) or the Trial version (to test it out)

Follow these instructions until you get to "Set up your Android Bridge":  https://goo.gl/Z4IBA6
The reason why you stop at "Set up your Android Bridge" is because these instructions were created before an Alexa Bridge was added to the RM Tasker Plugin.

Start RM Tasker Plugin & click on "Import new data from eControl app" and follow the instructions to import the codes from the eControl app into the RM Tasker Plugin.

Once you have imported all of your codes into Tasker, enable "Alexa Bridge" and follow Maff's instructions.
Thank you,  inconnu_homme.
I just installed Broadlink RM Tasker Lite app V1.5.4 but looks like it doesn't support my Broadlink RM Pro.
It shows "Device is currently not supported" red color error on the device list in Broadlink RM Tasker Lite app.
The eControl app works well with my Broadlink RM Pro. I see my codes from eControl on code list in Broadlink RM Tasker Lite app also.
I have reinstalled both apps and reimported data from eControl to Broadlink RM Tasker but still no luck.  :'(

inconnu_homme

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 12:13:08 pm »
Items needed:
-Broadlink RM Device
-Broadlink e-Control app (free - Google Play Store)
-Broadlink RM Tasker Plugin ($5.49 - Google Play store) or the Trial version (to test it out)

Follow these instructions until you get to "Set up your Android Bridge":  https://goo.gl/Z4IBA6
The reason why you stop at "Set up your Android Bridge" is because these instructions were created before an Alexa Bridge was added to the RM Tasker Plugin.

Start RM Tasker Plugin & click on "Import new data from eControl app" and follow the instructions to import the codes from the eControl app into the RM Tasker Plugin.

Once you have imported all of your codes into Tasker, enable "Alexa Bridge" and follow Maff's instructions.
Thank you,  inconnu_homme.
I just installed Broadlink RM Tasker Lite app V1.5.4 but looks like it doesn't support my Broadlink RM Pro.
It shows "Device is currently not supported" red color error on the device list in Broadlink RM Tasker Lite app.
The eControl app works well with my Broadlink RM Pro. I see my codes from eControl on code list in Broadlink RM Tasker Lite app also.
I have reinstalled both apps and reimported data from eControl to Broadlink RM Tasker but still no luck.  :'(

Not sure what's going wrong with your setup.  Seems like all Broadlink devices are supported according to RM Tasker's compatibility list.  First thing I would check is to see if the Broadlink's firmware is up to date.  You should find this in the e-Control app settings.  If it still doesn't work, I would email the developer.  You should see his contact into at the top when you run the RM Tasker Plugin app.

Burningsky

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 12:35:01 pm »
Not sure what's going wrong with your setup.  Seems like all Broadlink devices are supported according to RM Tasker's compatibility list.  First thing I would check is to see if the Broadlink's firmware is up to date.  You should find this in the e-Control app settings.  If it still doesn't work, I would email the developer.  You should see his contact into at the top when you run the RM Tasker Plugin app.
Thank you, inconnu_homme.
I've tried to upgrade the firmware but there were no new updates for the device. The version of my Broadlink RM Pro firmware is v20024. Not sure it's the latest version or not but I did some research and found other people have firmware like v25 or v26.
I emailed the RM Tasker developer about this issue yesterday. Still no response yet.

inconnu_homme

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 12:57:52 pm »
Thank you, inconnu_homme.
I've tried to upgrade the firmware but there were no new updates for the device. The version of my Broadlink RM Pro firmware is v20024. Not sure it's the latest version or not but I did some research and found other people have firmware like v25 or v26.
I emailed the RM Tasker developer about this issue yesterday. Still no response yet.

If you get tired of waiting and you are familiar with port forwarding and setting up a dynamic DNS service, you can try using RM Bridge instead of RM Tasker.  It's more involved, but RM Bridge is much more stable than RM Tasker.

Here are the instructions:  https://github.com/beckyricha/Broadlink-RM-SmartThings-Alexa/blob/master/RM%20Bridge%20Cloud%20Readme.md

RM Bridge works even better if you have a SmartThings hub.  No need to open up a port and use a DNS service.