Echo & Alexa Forums

Broadlink RM2

Insanocat

Re: Broadlink RM2
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2017, 09:06:12 pm »
Hi all again,
Because of the many conversations that talk about the android tasker app running in the background that acts as a negotiater between Alexa and the RM Pro I thought I would clearly state I don't use this method.  I simply use the latest IHC and e-control apps and customise TV remotes to suit my needs as in the case of the Yamaha amp.

As you can see in the linked vid I am able to the control the TV in more than just simple on/off commands...it is worth noting the little flat panel TV is the troublesome Chinese TV I mentioned previously...but the RM Pro and Alexa deal with it no problems at all.

It is also worth noting that I haven't been drinking in the vid...my voice is slow and jittery because I had just woken up after a night shift ;)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhlyTuPMfXkOlGk8UxnVFzjsvwd5

redfiat

« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2017, 04:30:46 am »
I have an Echo dot 2 and a RM PRO (3).
Alexa just will not discover the rm pro.
I've got the broadlink skill enabled, and have linked my broadlink account.

Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Thanks

« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2017, 08:11:13 am »
Alexa will not acknowledge the Broadlink as seen it will see IR devices you have configured in the IHC.
The Broadlink Alexa skill will only currently see TVs or set top boxes (if your area is supported).
In order to control other IR entertainment devices (DVD, VCR, PVR, SAT....) with Alexa and the Broadlink they need to be configured as a TV

MacNee

« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2017, 08:20:39 am »
The lack of Alexa skill in UK is annoying 😣.  IHC is frustrating too in its lack of options. I had a look in the APK file and there are loads of other icons that you aren't able to access. Even if you upload them via custom I can't see a way of choosing them for your own remote.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2017, 11:32:40 am »
Just ordered an RM Pro 3 today, $38.99 from Amazon. Should be here on Friday. I'm excited to try it out after a disappointing experience with Logitech Harmony Hub (slow, unreliable, cumbersome to setup).
I considered the RM Mini 3 for $19.35 but it doesn't have RF control. I really like the idea of RF so I can control my ceiling fans. I plan to put the RM Pro 3 next to the TV and it should be able to reach the two ceiling fans via RF.

« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2017, 01:19:01 pm »
The lack of Alexa skill in UK is annoying 😣.  IHC is frustrating too in its lack of options. I had a look in the APK file and there are loads of other icons that you aren't able to access. Even if you upload them via custom I can't see a way of choosing them for your own remote.
The IHC took me a bit to get the hang of. You would have though setup would be simular to the econtrol app.
I haven't looked into the APK to see what all Icons exist but I do have access to lots and can access custom ones
once you have your device setup  click on it then click more.
once that screen opens click top right icon ( beside device name) then select settings you can change the icon from there. ;)

I really like the idea of RF so I can control my ceiling fans. I plan to put the RM Pro 3 next to the TV and it should be able to reach the two ceiling fans via RF.
The RF range is actually decent I get over 50 feet and through 2  walls. The learning of RF works best at 2 feet
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:20:38 pm by tuicemen »

MacNee

« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2017, 01:56:32 pm »
I haven't looked into the APK to see what all Icons exist but I do have access to lots and can access custom ones
once you have your device setup  click on it then click more.
once that screen opens click top right icon ( beside device name) then select settings you can change the icon from there.

Do you mean for the remote icon? I've managed that too, it was for the icons for the remote buttons I couldn't change. Im sure an updated version will be out soon  :P

« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2017, 03:07:30 pm »

Do you mean for the remote icon? I've managed that too, it was for the icons for the remote buttons I couldn't change. Im sure an updated version will be out soon  :P
User defined buttons can have their icons changed the option is there after learning and testing.
Sadly I have yet to be able to change icons for defined buttons for things like TV power

redfiat

« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2017, 11:11:53 pm »
Thanks, I've not got my TV showing in Alexa once I added the remote to IHC.
How do I get scenes to show in Alexa though?
I want to be able to say "Watch Movie" and have it turn on the amp and tv and blueray player/

Cheers

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2017, 06:57:49 am »
I don't believe scenes are supported in the skill yet.
At least I haven't been able to get a IHC one to display or work from Alexa

redfiat

« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2017, 09:20:56 pm »
I don't believe scenes are supported in the skill yet.
At least I haven't been able to get a IHC one to display or work from Alexa
That is a shame, this is why I bought my echo and broadlink.  I want my wife to just be able to ask to watch something and not have to worry about which remote to use.! LOL.
there are so many youtube videos of people showing this kind of thing, but when you dig into it , it appears it cannot be done yet.

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2017, 07:36:33 am »
Actually it can be done just not with this skill yet.
Using the RM tasker app I believe you can set up groups (I haven't played with it much)
I'm able to do it using the RM Bridge app and the HA-Bridge. ;)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2017, 07:40:53 pm »
Got the RM Pro today and I like how easy it was to set up to work with my TV.
But the deal breaker was whenever I tried to scan/learn an RF remote, the app closes (crashes). The remote is within the 433 MHz scan range of the RM Pro. Alas, it doesn't work for what I need it to do. It's going back :(
I'm going to get the RM Mini instead just to control my TV. It costs half of the RM Pro.

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2017, 07:04:49 am »
@jwlv
Which app did you use to attempt to learn the RF and what firmware is the Broadlink running?
I haven't had the app crash when attempting to learn though it will some times timeout.
You may not have the latest firmware.

MacNee

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2017, 07:34:38 am »
Going to give this a try to get broadlink skill in UK..

https://youtu.be/dO5rExW-7I8