Echo & Alexa Forums

Changing the country

Pagemakers

Changing the country
« on: September 14, 2016, 11:38:38 am »
I purchased my Echo from the USA and everything about it is USA-centric.

The device now going to be released in the UK.

How can I flash/change the firmware from USA to UK?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:52:16 pm by Pagemakers »

Maff

Re: Changing the country
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 04:49:51 pm »
Apparently we will be able to migrate it over to a different locale. Someone posted an email from Amazon on another of the threads.

Pagemakers

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 05:56:57 pm »
Thank you. Just saw that.

karlfr

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 06:14:02 pm »
I have actually just tried and its let me choose a uk address for my echo. It now tells me correct weather etc YAY

loudnproud

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 08:46:57 pm »
My echo is already registered but as with most, US only, do I have to de-register it and then register it again?
I too have had an email reply from Amazon stating that we will be able to do it after the official UK release but with no instructions or clues how to go about it.

Edit - I am not an Amazon Prime member
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:53:19 pm by loudnproud »

Pagemakers

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 02:28:25 am »
How did it let you chose a U.K. address? Mine only accepts a USA zip code.

Did you reset your device and start again. If so how do you do that?

karlfr

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 02:40:50 am »
I did not have to de register. The only things I done out of ordinary was download the new Amazon underground app (apk from apk mirror) and download my first audible (Alan partridge) as a tester. I then just went on and it looked a little different (2 metric options not just 1) so tried address and it worked

vishaljh

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 06:03:29 am »
I can confirm this works. I could now see a new "Distance Metrics" and if I start typing my UK address, it brings up the correct address. if you enter something in the postcode only, thsi will not work. You need to type the address. Hope this helps. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the new undergroud app or not.

loudnproud

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 10:16:24 am »
Just changed my address also, it took it OK. Now have my local UK weather when asking "Alexa, what is the weather". Cool :-)

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 04:58:49 pm »
Why doesn't one of you folks in UK call Echo support for US or UK and get the true story of how to UK-ize your US Echos and post the info here?  Duh!

Pagemakers

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 05:15:44 pm »
Simple...

Call the US and they say they can't help you with a UK device.

Call the UK and they either say what is Echo or it's not released yet, or they have no idea what you mean about changing it from USA to UK.

Trust me, I'm banging my head against the wall here.  You only need to read the email below from Amazon and you will get what I mean.

This was their total gibberish response when asked the simple question of changing the Echo firmware from USA to UK...

Hello,

As your query relates to our Amazon website based in China, your contact will be best served by our colleagues in Amazon.cn. You can contact Amazon.cn at the below link:

https://www.amazon.cn/gp/help/customer/contact-us

Further to your e-mail, I can confirm that, as your query relates to our US site your contact will be best served by transferring your request to my colleagues in Amazon.com

I've forwarded your enquiry to Amazon com on your behalf and they will endeavour to respond to you via email within a 6-12 hour time frame.  This should assist you in resolving your query.

If for any reason you don’t receive a contact from them after the above listed time frame,  you can find their contact details by clicking on the below URL:

http://www.amazon.com/contact-us

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warmest regards,
Harpreet K
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

Amazon.co.uk

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 05:27:08 pm »
Why doesn't one of you folks in UK call Echo support for US or UK and get the true story of how to UK-ize your US Echos and post the info here?  Duh!
Because it's not available until Oct.  20,  there is no official answer till then.  Duh! :)

Cheers,
Alex

Pagemakers

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 05:31:25 pm »
Oh yea, how stupid of me!

Must remember the next time I go into an Apple Store and ask them a question about the iPhone 7 a week before it is released and they have absolutely no idea what one is.

DUH

Thanks for being helpful.

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 05:53:29 pm »
Oh yea, how stupid of me!

Must remember the next time I go into an Apple Store and ask them a question about the iPhone 7 a week before it is released and they have absolutely no idea what one is.

DUH

Thanks for being helpful.
That message wasn't for you - learn how to read forums..

Anyway - since your area so inpatient - I'll spell it out for you..

In order to be able to officially switch your existing devices to UK local you need the new firmware. The new firmware for all existing devices will be available after the official UK release!

So no US nor UK Amazon support can tell you how to do something that is not currently possible! So calm down be patient, wait for the official release and when the new firmware is available on your device you'll do what got need to..

Cheers,
Alex

Pagemakers

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 05:56:23 pm »
Sorry Alex - I apologise.

I didn't mean to take my iPhone 7 ordering fiasco frustration out on you  ;)