Re: Echo Dot pre-order for $49.99
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 06:38:20 pm »
Or he is funny![emoji38]

"Everybody's funny.  Now you're funny too."

~ George Thorogood

mike27oct

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 07:59:20 pm »
Yoda, you just WON a free new DOT, because you came up with the best reply.  Please collect it from renegade600 (for his being a jerk by calling ME a jerk!  Hey pal, get a sense of humor and smile -- even if it's corny.)  Some people take this forum WAY too seriously.

Alex, your reply was a close second, but no cigar this time. Sorry. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 09:23:00 pm »
I see volume up and down buttons on the new ones tho.. I quite like the ring ontrol..

Cheers,
Alex

I didn't even notice that! After looking at the pictures, yes, they did eliminate the volume ring. I also prefer the ring. I'm fairly positive that it was a manufacturing cost issue. Two volume buttons are much cheaper and easier to produce and assemble as opposed to a ring with gears.

mike27oct

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 09:29:35 pm »
Not real clear the ring is gone; maybe just streamlined.  Anyway, I do like the ring since it enables "fine tuning the volume".  Nevertheless, the ring could be gone since the vol arrows are not on the original, but they are on the Tap that has no ring.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 09:59:56 am »
Great, someone confesses he ordered a black one.  This is all so exciting.  ;)

OK, so who ordered a 6-pack, or better yet, a 12 pack!

Xmas is just around the corner -- ONLY $41.66 each if bought in bulk.  (Just wait, Costco will have them, including the cute  milk carton; enclosed in thick plastic, sealed with gooey glue that will take a while to ever open!

I'm debating how many of my family members would enjoy one of these.  The bulk ordering is a great idea.  Several family members have sound bars with their tv's. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 12:44:17 am »
I just pre-ordered a 6 pack; 3 in black and 3 in white. I figure I'd like an Echo Dot in every room, even the bathrooms. Would be great to listen to music while showering and ask Alexa to change tracks, or play something different, or tell me the weather without getting out of the shower.

Btw, you can mix and match and still use the coupon code to get 1 free.

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 05:34:28 am »
Yoda, you just WON a free new DOT, because you came up with the best reply.  Please collect it from renegade600 (for his being a jerk by calling ME a jerk!  Hey pal, get a sense of humor and smile -- even if it's corny.)  Some people take this forum WAY too seriously.

Alex, your reply was a close second, but no cigar this time. Sorry.

You are "grade a one" - what can I say - I guess everyone has to be good at something.    I will send the dot to Yoda but for verifications purposes, I will need his bank account number, his mothers maiden name, his social security number, and credit card number with the three digit security from the back of it.  Finally I will need the mailing address.   I gotta make sure I am sending it to the right person  :-)

mike27oct

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 12:55:39 pm »
If this is an apology of some sort, then I suppose I will accept it.  Work with Yoda on the shipping arrangements.

mike27oct

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 01:09:13 pm »
BTW, I alerted a friend to the new Dot who said he would likely get one.  Next day he told he might not because the V2 only has a 90 day warranty and the original had a year.  I have not checked this fact myself, but if true it is another way Amazon was able to lower the price.  Heck it is a $50 product now; who looks into the warranty for an inexpensive product and bases a buy/no buy decision on that!

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 02:24:27 pm »
BTW, I alerted a friend to the new Dot who said he would likely get one.  Next day he told he might not because the V2 only has a 90 day warranty and the original had a year.  I have not checked this fact myself, but if true it is another way Amazon was able to lower the price.  Heck it is a $50 product now; who looks into the warranty for an inexpensive product and bases a buy/no buy decision on that!
Irrelevant since Amazon's 1-2-3 insurance us dirt cheap..  I believe the 3 years is something like $14..

Cheers,
Alex

DParker

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 02:30:31 pm »
Irrelevant since Amazon's 1-2-3 insurance us dirt cheap..  I believe the 3 years is something like $14..

Cheers,
Alex

I know the 2-year protection (which covers damage, loss, etc) is $9.99 for the Gen2 Dot.

mike27oct

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 03:04:11 pm »
Well, yea, I suppose you guys are referring to add-on warranty protection.  I'll let my friend know.

We never buy that insurance except for our five new major kitchen appliances bought last month.  Got 10 year added protection/replacement.  Pricy, but salesman pointed out all these kitchen gadgets today hardly have any mechanical controls; they are all computer-controlled and a surge can take the hummers out big time.  He said he recently sold a new fridge for one taken out by a surge.  Sales-hype maybe, but these new appliances cost a lot more than they ever did.

Just glad none of the appliances can talk to Alexa -- just what we need; talking kitchen gadgets.  No thanks!

Yoda_One

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 03:17:50 pm »
No, he is correct. I have had the main boards replaced twice so far on my refrigerator because of ground faults.

Yoda_One

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2016, 03:26:06 pm »
Some people take this forum WAY too seriously.

People are becoming way to thin skin. I always take a few moments when I read a post to see what the tone of the author and assume the best.

DParker

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2016, 03:26:17 pm »
Just glad none of the appliances can talk to Alexa -- just what we need; talking kitchen gadgets.  No thanks!

Actually, once Amazon releases the push notification functionality it would be really handy to have smart appliance integration.  For instance, while upstairs the MB Echo could announce the following events:

• Clothes in washer are ready for the dryer.
  • Clothes are dry.
  • Oven has reached preheat temperature.
  • Programmed oven cook time has elapsed.
  • Etc, etc.