Echo & Alexa Forums

UK gets Echo... updating US version for UK?

karlfr

UK gets Echo... updating US version for UK?
« on: September 14, 2016, 08:03:13 am »
ok so its good news that the echo is coming in a couple weeks to the UK. (even better that i have ordered it in white)

but... the question is... how soon (if at all) can we update our US versions to work fully in the UK?

any links etc would be grrrrrreat ;)

karlfr

Re: UK gets Echo... updating US version for UK?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 01:01:50 pm »
Email from Amazon

Hello Karl,

This is Janelle with Alexa Customer Support. I understand you would like to know whether your Echo, which you have purchased from the U.S can be used to link to your Prime account in U.K. or not. Let me assist you with this.

Once the Echo becomes available in the UK, which is on Wednesday, September 28, 2016, you will be able to migrate your Echo over and have it functioning properly.

atters

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 02:03:33 pm »
I wonder if we will be able to change across to the UK voices too

Maff

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 02:29:58 pm »
Email from Amazon

Hello Karl,

This is Janelle with Alexa Customer Support. I understand you would like to know whether your Echo, which you have purchased from the U.S can be used to link to your Prime account in U.K. or not. Let me assist you with this.

Once the Echo becomes available in the UK, which is on Wednesday, September 28, 2016, you will be able to migrate your Echo over and have it functioning properly.

Thanks for this info! Really helpful.

Pagemakers

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 02:43:08 pm »
Glad you got a sensible reply.  I asked the same question just a few moments ago and got this reply...

Hello,

As your query relates to our Amazon website based in China, your contact will be best served by our colleagues in Amazon.cn. You can contact Amazon.cn at the below link:

https://www.amazon.cn/gp/help/customer/contact-us

Further to your e-mail, I can confirm that, as your query relates to our US site your contact will be best served by transferring your request to my colleagues in Amazon.com

I've forwarded your enquiry to Amazon com on your behalf and they will endeavour to respond to you via email within a 6-12 hour time frame.  This should assist you in resolving your query.

If for any reason you don’t receive a contact from them after the above listed time frame,  you can find their contact details by clicking on the below URL:

http://www.amazon.com/contact-us

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warmest regards,
Harpreet K

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 09:15:03 pm »
I wonder if we will be able to change across to the UK voices too

That's an interesting question. I too wonder if the UK Alexa would speak with a British accent or use words that are more common in British English than American English.

darrens667

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 06:42:53 am »
Go to YouTube search for uk echo, then watch the vid by trusted reviews.You can hear the British Echo accent ;)

karlfr

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 06:48:12 am »
mine is still in a US accent. im wondering if its to do with the setting i can see on request maker.

at the minute it says EN-US. you can get a confim 200 ok when you change to EN-UK but not sure if it done anything as im not near my echo.

someone want to test this out?

"firstRunCompleted":true,"locale":"en-us"

also at top of screen

Accept-Language  en-us

vishaljh

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 05:04:21 am »
Anyone tried what Karlfr suggested?

Pagemakers

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 05:06:33 am »
The easiest thing to do at the moment is to start to enter your address (not postcode) in the location. Then save and it will update to UK

Maff

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 07:15:29 am »
I heard that IFTTT may not be working on the UK version just yet, alongside a few other features. IFTTT is essential for me, so despite really wanting the UK update assuming there is a choice, I will be holding off until IFTTT is introduced. However given the locale is device specific, within the Alexca App I will happily try it out on my "LEXA" app or Roger app "device, and see if the accent changes. If I get time i'll try it tonight.

matt_tee

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 12:49:41 pm »
Email from Amazon

Hello Karl,

Great Answer, Can you please keep us updated with a 'How To Migrate' once this is possible? Thank you!

Maff

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 03:36:49 pm »
mine is still in a US accent. im wondering if its to do with the setting i can see on request maker.

at the minute it says EN-US. you can get a confim 200 ok when you change to EN-UK but not sure if it done anything as im not near my echo.

someone want to test this out?

"firstRunCompleted":true,"locale":"en-us"

also at top of screen

Accept-Language  en-us

I tried this last night. Trying several different uk style codes all returned 200/success but had no effect on Alexas accent. However reading up on country designations I don't think the proper code is en-uk, I believe it is possibly en-GB (with the capitals too). However this too didn't produce a change in accent.

Services seem to be in a bit of a state of flux.. My audible books stopped working since time ago, and now tunein no longer works (not as a consequence of my faffing with it last night!). I think that some of the services are gearing up to understand territories now, and UK is switched off currently.