Echo & Alexa Forums

Roger App works darn good...connected devices, skills, etc..

ibucky

Roger App works darn good...connected devices, skills, etc..
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:07:36 am »
OK. Decided to give this a try.  It is kind of like using a walkie talkie with Amazon Echo.  https://rogertalk.com/

You have to connect with your Amazon Echo (just using the amazon password).  Once you do, just push the button, do not have to say your wake up word.

Turn on Kitchen Lights
Set Home Temperature to 73
etc...

And it works with all the commands.  I see this being useful when upstairs away from the echo, but still be able to ask it questions.  It does not support starting music, stopping music, etc... But I suppose this makes sense. 

kbuck11

Re: Roger App works darn good...connected devices, skills, etc..
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 11:23:29 am »
Have not tried Roger.  Payed 5 bucks for 'Lexi' and it works great.  HOWEVER, last weekend I noticed it has disappeared from Apple, Google app stores and the 'Heylexi' web site now returns a blank page????  I posted a question about it on one of the Amazon forums and it was deleted within 15 min lol...  Wonder whats up?  I sense some new hardware releases coming this fall with the 'Dot' suddenly vanishing from stock with no more planned and the Echo's going on sale this week (129.99 at Bed, Bath and Beyond).  I wonder if Amazon is going to release a mobile Alexa app of their own as well?

DParker

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 01:46:00 pm »
Have not tried Roger.  Payed 5 bucks for 'Lexi' and it works great.  HOWEVER, last weekend I noticed it has disappeared from Apple, Google app stores and the 'Heylexi' web site now returns a blank page????  I posted a question about it on one of the Amazon forums and it was deleted within 15 min lol...  Wonder whats up?

Do you mean "Lexa"?  If so, it stopped working for me completely as of at least yesterday (I hadn't tried to use it for several days prior to that).  At first it went into perpetual speech analysis mode without ever returning.  Then after stopping and restarting the app the command button no longer responds at all (won't even go into listening mode), and selecting "Help" from the menu causes the app to crash.

EDIT: Just to make a liar out of me, the Lexa app on my phone just suddenly started working again right after I posted the above.  I guess the squeaky wheel really does get the grease, even virtually.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:49:20 pm by DParker »

kbuck11

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 02:22:26 pm »
No 'Lexi' is the one I have:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2016/05/06/forget-echo-lexi-lets-speak-alexa-phone/#gref

Is 'Lexa' just for Andriod?  Can't find it on the Apple store...

DParker

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:58:10 pm »
No 'Lexi' is the one I have:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2016/05/06/forget-echo-lexi-lets-speak-alexa-phone/#gref

Is 'Lexa' just for Andriod?  Can't find it on the Apple store...

If it's not at the Apple Store then I'd say yes, it's Android only.

bubbacable

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 02:20:32 pm »
Roger, Lexi, just how safe are they?
I wanted to get access to my calendar, but this is effectively granting access to a 3rd party developer on 3rd party host servers with my Amazon and Google SSO credentials isn't it?

flowersrj

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 04:23:52 pm »
Hi,

Could one use Roger to play a skill like "open a box of cats" from another location and then echo would say "meow"?

Rich

DParker

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 04:52:13 pm »
Hi,

Could one use Roger to play a skill like "open a box of cats" from another location and then echo would say "meow"?

Rich

No.  Alexa responses are always sent to the same device used to issue the command.