Echo & Alexa Forums

Audio Streaming in Alexa Skills

runbadgerrun

Audio Streaming in Alexa Skills
« on: August 25, 2016, 04:02:41 pm »
Do the Audio Streaming controls in Alexa Skills open up the opportunity to add a skill that could play Google Play music or other optional audio streams?

https://developer.amazon.com/public/community/post/Tx1DSINBM8LUNHY/New-Alexa-Skills-Kit-ASK-Feature-Audio-Streaming-in-Alexa-Skills

I realize that Google still does not have an API for Play Music but am hoping these commands might pave the way a bit.

vetteracer

Re: Audio Streaming in Alexa Skills
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 03:09:23 pm »
I am very interested in this skill.  Alexa will always be just a novelty item for me until it can either play music from a DNLA server on the network or play an audio stream off the Internet. Music from Pandora/Spotify/Amazon is not conducive to the manner in which I listen to music.

tboy2000

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 11:14:14 pm »
I have an Xbox Groove music subscription and would love for the Echo to play music from there. Not everyone uses Spotify.

coyote

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 11:58:34 am »
I am very interested in this skill.  Alexa will always be just a novelty item for me until it can either play music from a DNLA server on the network or play an audio stream off the Internet. Music from Pandora/Spotify/Amazon is not conducive to the manner in which I listen to music.
I don't see music as a strong point for any of these type devices. They do it and it's a decent 'hook' for lots of folks, but their sound is merely OK at best.  it's all the other stuff they do that makes them useful. Get a smart home system and say "Alexa, turn offf downstairs" and all the lights downstairs go off.... "Alexa, fill the tub" and it activates a valve that fills the tub until a water sensor detects the tub has filled to a certain level, and automatically turns off that valve..... "Alexa, add celery to the shopping list" and celery shows up on your Todoist widget on your android phone.... "OK Google, lock the front door" and the lock turns.... "Alexa, what's the commute" and it tells you how long it will take you to get to work....

Music is, quite frankly, the 'novelty' of these devices. It's all the other stuff they do that makes them useful.