Echo & Alexa Forums

New to Echo and trying to understand usage as a Prime guest

MacEcho

New to Echo and trying to understand usage as a Prime guest
« on: August 25, 2016, 01:57:04 am »
I purchased an echo device and am planning to set it up tomorrow. My wife has Prime, although I'm a prime guest through my niece who lives out of state. I'm grandfathered as a Prime guest with her so I get free shipping, lightning early access and a few other benes but not prime video or music. I was hoping I could set myself up with an Alexa/Echo profile so I can control shopping lists, pandora/spotify, my amz purchased and uploaded music, and other uses without having to change from my current guest status to "adult household member" under my wife's prime. Man this is convoluted! My wife and I don't want to share cc and amz order history, so prefer to keep amz relationship as is and not add me to her household. Thoughts? Should I just get my own prime acct? Trying to avoid the $99 expense if possible. Your thoughts? Thanks!

mike27oct

Re: New to Echo and trying to understand usage as a Prime guest
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 03:00:09 am »
Buying a second prime account is not a good idea unless you just like spending money needlessly.

Why not setup the Echo under your wife's account so that you have access to Prime music.  My wife and I don't find prime music that useful anyway.  We prefer using the other music apps on Echo like TuneIn radio which includes jillions of radio stations around the world; other people like Pandora and iHeart radio.  You can always send music to it via Bluetooth, too.  If you decide to ever put the Echo in your name instead, it can always be deregistered so that you can do this.

You can also register the Echo under your account although you may or may not get access to free (limited) Prime music, but not the premium kind. Suggest you call Amazon customer service to check on this.

DParker

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:29:34 am »
My wife and I don't want to share cc and amz order history, so prefer to keep amz relationship as is and not add me to her household. Thoughts?

This is what's preventing the only really good solution to your problem.  I suppose you have your reasons for this decision, but I can't think of any good ones myself.

MacEcho

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 12:48:58 pm »
Thanks Mike. Added to wife's household acct, been experimenting, agree with the limited prime music and other music services better, bluetooth was quick and easy too. Appreciate your help

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 04:39:10 pm »
one thing to note,  imo, the sharing of payment info is a security feature to prevent sharing of prime movies and music with neighbors and friends.   Most users may not mind sharing with spouse but they sure would not want to share that info with neighbors and friends.