Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Building your own Echo-like device is about to get easier

Building your own Echo-like device is about to get easier
« on: August 23, 2016, 04:02:38 pm »
Seeed has launched a KickStarter campaign for their soon-to-be-shipped "ReSpeaker" maker components:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seeed/respeaker-an-open-modular-voice-interface-to-hack?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=edmall&utm_campaign=respeaker_ks

I'd jump on this, but the shipping cost is too high at the moment, and for the $160 or so that I'd spend on the components that I'd want I think I'll wait a little bit on some reviews and feedback on quality and usability first.  Looks mighty fun though.

Offline dxguy

Re: Building your own Echo-like device is about to get easier
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:25:57 am »
The PC boards and components look a lot like some of the pictures I've seen with an Echo teardown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:42:40 am »
The PC boards and components look a lot like some of the pictures I've seen with an Echo teardown.

A Chinese company making something that appears to have been reverse-engineered from someone else's product?  I'm shocked...SHOCKED, I tell you!  ;D

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 01:43:38 pm »
Is it a Chinese company that's making this ReSpeaker?

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 01:47:00 pm »
Is it a Chinese company that's making this ReSpeaker?

Yep.  Seeed Studio: https://www.seeedstudio.com/  I've bought a few things from them before (mostly Arduino project stuff).  They're OK.