Echo & Alexa Forums

Problem using Echo and Synology on one router (Fritzbox)

cyberheuze

Problem using Echo and Synology on one router (Fritzbox)
« on: August 14, 2016, 03:11:31 pm »
I have a strange issue. I use an Echo connected over wifi to my router (Fritzbox). My router is also connected to my NAS (Synology) via LAN. Now comes the problem: When I switch off my NAS, Echo is working perfectly. But when the Synology is switched on, Echo takes extra long to answer my questions and skips words. Any idea why that is? Thanks

mike27oct

Re: Problem using Echo and Synology on one router (Fritzbox)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 11:40:33 pm »
I also have a NAS; a WD DL2100. I am connected exactly how you are, although the NAS is connected to a gigabit network switch, not the gigabit router which is across the house.  I have an Asus dual band router and the Echo (as well as the Dot and the Tap) all connect to the 2.4G wireless signal (5G is overkill for Echo audio.)  BTW, are you sure Echo has a good strong signal to router?  (I do.)

All components work fine, so I really don't know what the problem is other than different equipment. I suspect either the router or NAS,  Maybe connect NAS to a network switch into router?

Offline jwlv

Re: Problem using Echo and Synology on one router (Fritzbox)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 03:31:42 pm »
That is quite strange. An NAS should have no effect on the Echo.
But one thing you stated kind of gives a hint:

But when the Synology is switched on, Echo takes extra long to answer my questions and skips words. Any idea why that is? Thanks

My Echo has skipped words occasionally when my internet connection is bogged down or when packet loss is higher than normal. It also happens when IOS devices decides to do its iCloud backup or to upload the day's photos & videos.

Do you think it's possible that your NAS is using all of your network's bandwidth and causing high ping times or packet loss? Some NAS automate backups for any device it finds on the network. And even worse, it could be backing up to cloud storage. These things could be happening in the background and you might not even realize it.