Echo & Alexa Forums

Vobot for Alexa

mike27oct

Vobot for Alexa
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:57:58 pm »
Has anyone here purchased a Vobot for Alexa yet?  Any feedback will be appreciated.

celala9

Re: Vobot for Alexa
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 11:55:42 pm »
Yes, it is release now on Amazon.com. The asin is: B071CDST5C

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:47:51 am »
I don't get it.  Looks like a waste of money and a step (or two) backwards.  Ugly, old technology display.  You have to touch it to activate it.  It's an Echo with a ugly, old b&w display.  I just don't get it.  Maybe you can help me understand :o

iolinux333

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 12:59:34 am »
It seems to have Apple music support. I can't tell if it can play Tunein and iHeart.

The problem with stuff like this is you have to depend on a third party for updates and bug fixes. Amazon is staying on top of their devices, who knows about others. If the company goes tits up it could stop working entirely after a while.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 01:27:19 am »
I posted the original msg, but I don't remember what the product was.  It seemed a little dummied down and just wondered if anyone had bought one and what it was like.  It's been so long, it definitely must be old tech by the time it got released. 
Movin' on from here.

celala9

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 01:40:27 am »
I learn that it can support the Amazon music, IHeartRadio, Tunein. Maybe I can have a try. After all, the alarm clock and the LED should be good for the bedside gadget.

It seems to have Apple music support. I can't tell if it can play Tunein and iHeart.

The problem with stuff like this is you have to depend on a third party for updates and bug fixes. Amazon is staying on top of their devices, who knows about others. If the company goes tits up it could stop working entirely after a while.

celala9

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 01:51:35 am »
I bought one from Amazon.com, the setup is easy. Hun, the LED icon is really cute for me, and it almost can do what Dot can with the bonus of bedside alarm clock. It said the sleep coach and the daily routine would be upgrade. So I am waiting to upgrade.. :P
I posted the original msg, but I don't remember what the product was.  It seemed a little dummied down and just wondered if anyone had bought one and what it was like.  It's been so long, it definitely must be old tech by the time it got released. 
Movin' on from here.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 01:58:02 pm »
Just took a look at website and Amazon.  Much bigger than original design shown months ago.  Same price as Dot, much larger form factor.  Why have one of these instead of a Dot?

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 03:59:43 pm »
I bought one from Amazon.com, the setup is easy. Hun, the LED icon is really cute for me, and it almost can do what Dot can with the bonus of bedside alarm clock. It said the sleep coach and the daily routine would be upgrade. So I am waiting to upgrade.. :P
Movin' on from here.

the problem is waiting for upgrades on products like this, is it is dependent on sales.  if they do not initially sell enough, they are not going to spend the time and money to upgrade.   Hopefully that would not be the case for this but...

I looked at it on amazon and did not like the design.  In addtion I have enough clocks and already have a dot in the bedroom. 

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 05:56:30 pm »
As I recall, the original pitch for this was a banner ad at this site.  At the time it showed a small round device (like a small Dot) that was pitched as a way to use Alexa as a home intercom and a way to leave a message for family menbers, like the kids when they get home from school, etc.  Don't recall a clock at all.  NOW, it seems the big feature is as a clock radio with Alexa features.The lumpy/clunky design makes it leave a lot of "footprint" and appears it was not created by a "design engineer". During the past 10 years there was a media player that stood vertically at a 45 degree angle whereas all other media players were small horizontal boxes that fit in with other home electronics.>  The player was pretty good, but failed mostly because of the "where can I put this thing" shape of the enclosure.

I hope it works well for those who bought the Vobot, but there is no way I want one of them since we have a Dot in bedroom that, on sale, cost $40; was less than the Vobot.

iolinux333

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 12:06:02 am »
Well it's 5 watts, so it might sound A LOT better than the Dot. The Dot sounds like a tin can on a string.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 01:10:03 am »
That could be a plus for the Vobot, although it might not have audio out like a Dot that plugs into home stereo system; I do that with one of my Dots.

Anyway, i did not buy a Dot for the crappy sound of its speaker or its non-musicality. I have an Echo, Taps, along with my small minions of Dots.  These days I favor the sound of our stereo (w/Dot), or our new Google Home (for our best-sounding AI device).

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 01:50:43 am »
maybe it does have good sound, but I prefer to send the sound to a bluetooth speaker across the room.  it makes it easier to give commands that could be heard above the music. 

malliekm

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 05:04:48 pm »
I just see no reason to have that thing but the looks of it is enough to turn me off.