Echo & Alexa Forums

Question about Controling Lights with Echo...

Clemdog

Question about Controling Lights with Echo...
« on: June 12, 2016, 11:08:42 am »
If I use Echo with Hue or some other lighting control, can I use Echo to turn on lights then manually turn them off without interfering with the automation control?

DParker

Re: Question about Controling Lights with Echo...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 01:07:52 pm »
If I use Echo with Hue or some other lighting control, can I use Echo to turn on lights then manually turn them off without interfering with the automation control?

That depends on what you mean by "manually" turning them off.  If you mean actually turning off the lamp/fixture a bulbs is in via the physical switch then that cuts power to the bulb and eliminates its ability to communicate with the controlling hub/bridge, so it can't be controlled at all.  But if you use the Hue app or other controll mechanism to operate the light then no, that won't interfere with your ability to also control it via your Echo.

Yoda_One

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 01:20:25 pm »
Just like @DParker said.

I would add since you have each light has it own unique name it would very easy just to say "Alexa please turn bedroom 2 lights off". You do not have to use Please but I am a southerner and it just part of my speech. It is a little aggravating when my daughter stays over I have manually switch the light back to ON so my schedule works properly.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:29:33 pm by Yoda_One »

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 02:37:28 pm »

yes and no.  you can still turn them on and off manually, but if you turn them off manually, you will have to turn them back on manually before you can use automation control again.  It would be better to get wall switches.  this way guests and other family members will not mess things up. 

Yoda_One

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 02:48:54 pm »
@renegade600 Thank You,  you taught me something. It never occurred to me about the light switch but it does make logical sense.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 03:53:25 pm »
@renegade600 Thank You,  you taught me something. It never occurred to me about the light switch but it does make logical sense.

glad to help.  learned the hard way.  My apartment cannot use the wifi light switches because of the wiring so using wall switches was a hard habit to break.  I forgot the number of times I got frustrated because the echo was not working then finding out the wall switch was turned off. 

itsjustmeee

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 12:24:38 pm »
I ended up just ordering light switch covers from amazon. That's one easy way to solve the problem....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X88GYY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

vttimc

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 02:46:25 pm »
Switch covers are a great idea!  (I'll be grabbing a few of those myself.)  Also, since you're using Hue, there's another good option: the dimmer switch/remote.

One is a wall switch by itself for $25: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-458158-Hue-Dimmer-Switch/dp/B014H2OYVW
Or for another $10 you can also get a white 2nd gen bulb (usually they're $15 or so): https://www.amazon.com/Philips-455394-Hue-Wireless-Dimming/dp/B014H2P89O

The switch integrates into the rest of the system, so if a guest uses it, everything still works fine.  Also, if you have 10 bulbs or less, you apparently use this without needing a hub.  (Which would mean no Alexa integration, but I'll leave that there for google searchers.)  Combine with your switch covers, and the home works for both you and guests seamlessly.

Have fun!  We're living in the future.

foriegnbody

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 05:31:41 pm »
Or use Insteon switches instead of hue bulbs. Echo can talk to Insteon either via the Insteon hub or via IndigoDomo if you're going full hog.

The switches control regular bulbs (dim or on/off) and work as 'normal' switches on the wall as well as being controllable via app/api etc.

I have Insteon/Echo/Indigo all working on multiple (6 right now) switch points in the house. 2 of those are  3 ways (so 8 total switches) and 1 of those 3 ways is totally done by Insteon - in other words there was never real 3 way wiring there (it's for 2 switches to control 2 outside lights at once, instead of one switch per light)

Once the switches are programmed they don't need Indigo to remember that 3 way/dimming levels etc etc but obviously I need Indigo for Echo to talk to via hue-bridge bit of software.

I've not tried it with the full Insteon hub but apparently it works well..

Just a thought if you're not wedded to Hue and like me, need 'real' switches too.

DParker

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 05:59:50 pm »
Of course, wall switches aren't going to work if you're wanting to control bulbs that aren't in wall switch-controlled fixtures.  And as expensive as Insteon wall switches are (~$42 from Amazon) they might not make economic sense unless each switch controls at least 3  or 4 bulbs.  White smart bulbs from Hue & GE are normally about $15 each, can be had for as little as $10 each on sale (I just picked up 3 GE Link bulbs at Target for that price), and have an estimated life expectancy of 20 years.

tetraecho

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 10:30:10 pm »
One is a wall switch by itself for $25: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-458158-Hue-Dimmer-Switch/dp/B014H2OYVW

When it starts getting to that sort of price, it might be worth considering Z-Wave, where you have the advantages of a mesh network, and complete integration with a 'proper' HA hub...or perhaps use them together like:

http://www.vesternet.com/resources/using-z-wave-and-philips-hue-together