Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa app says its offline

BettyReed

Alexa app says its offline
« on: August 27, 2016, 04:00:00 pm »
My Echo is on my wifi network and it works great. My problem is that when I try to use the Shopping List, and actually go shopping, I am no longer on my wifi network, but am on my Verizon network via my cell phone. Alexa then says I am offline, even though the cell phone network is working fine for all my other apps. Alexa does offer me the ability to see my Shopping List, but frequently it hasn't been updated with my latest items. So really the Shopping List is useless.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Alexa and I've tried logging out. But nothing seems to work.
To test this I simply turn off my wifi and Alexa doesn't seem to be able to switch over to the Verizon network.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

mike27oct

Re: Alexa app says its offline
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 04:46:01 pm »
It's not useless -- you have a cell phone issue of some kind.  Just checked with wife who says she is always on our ATT cell phone network when out shopping and accesses the Shopping List.  Works fine.  You need to turn off your home Wi-Fi network on phone when at home to test this so you are not on it and be on your cell network only.  You should be able to access your Alexa app and see Shopping list as well as other app features.

This is what I just did at home, and you should be able to do same:

Turned off iPhone Wi-Fi, so was on cell LTE network only.
Opened Alexa app and accessed Home, then Shopping List and added beer to the list by tapping in the "add it" box, told app (via phone mic) by saying "beer" and tapped plus sign in box. and beer was added to the list!

You can also do this if connected to store's Wi-Fi or a friend's. or hotspot's Wi-Fi.  The only requirement is that the Alexa app needs to access the internet, and it will under all these conditions if they are met.

If you can't do this, you have an issue, so contact Echo Support at 1-877-375-9365

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:55:54 pm by mike27oct »

BettyReed

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »
Thanks so much Mike!  Your response made me realize it was a setting in my phone. And sure enough, in the settings areaI had not given Alexa permission to use LTE.  I changed that setting and now Alexa works. Thanks again!!

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 07:17:38 pm »
Great, so now it is not useless anymore!  ;)