Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Need app for general interfacing to replace the To-Do list hack

The only way to currently interface with unsupported hardware is with the To-Do List hack/kludge. Could somebody please make an app that would simply send an HTTP GET or POST message to a (local?) IP address configured by the user? It would contain the words that Echo heard and maybe the date and time. Each one would be a separate parameter in the message.  Then all the techies out there could write a simple (Rasp Pi?) program to receive the message, parse it, and then programmatically interface with whatever device is accessible to the Rasp Pi (or whatever). That might be X10, ZeeBee, a hub, or ANYTHING else. Comments?

Re: Need app for general interfacing to replace the To-Do list hack
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 12:42:36 am »
I don't have access to the beta SDK, but here's another hacky (but neat!) solution if you haven't seen it:

http://www.aftvnews.com/controlling-the-amazon-fire-tv-with-the-amazon-echo

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 10:09:31 am »
Thanks for the info. It's a clever hack!
Hopefully there will be a simple way to interface "things" in the future.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:08:24 am »
I'm still waiting for my sdk invite, so I'm hoping to see if I can reverse engineer the communication protocols and do something similar. has anyone managed to get a network capture of the messages that are sent between Echo->Amazon->Echo? That last leg of the conversation would be interesting to me. This would be easier if Echo had a wired connection, then it would be a simple matter of sniffing (and possible some form of SSL MitM), but right now I have to set up a wireless system just for this which I haven't had time to do yet.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 09:26:27 pm »
Could somebody please make an app that would simply send an HTTP GET or POST message to a (local?) IP address configured by the user?

Take a look at the amazon-echo-ha-bridge.  I explain how I'm using it here.  You can say "Alexa turn on <name>" or "Alexa set <name> to 30 percent", and send those commands via HTTP to an a specified IP address.