Echo & Alexa Forums

Smartthings power outlets frequently not responding to echo

zootweller

Hello Echo Forum!

I have several smart devices registered with my 2.0 hub, I also have several Philips Hue smart bulbs too, and all are integrated with my Echo. These have all been responding perfectly to voice commands until recently
where I am now experiencing an issue that only affects the Smartthings devices.
For example, in the morning or after a period of inactivity, the Smartthings devices will not respond to on/off voice commands - sometimes repeating the command will work after several repetitions, but most other
times I have to resort to 'waking' at least one of the Smartthing devices using the app or manually switching one of them on/off. Most times this restores voice command functionality to all the Smartthings devices.
I have performed de-registering / re-registering of all devices with the Echo, but this makes no difference. It feels like the problem exists outside of my area of control, probably within the cloud services, and Smartthings have recently changed their device authentication services which might be causing latency?

Is anyone facing similiar issues with Smartthings/Echo integration ?

mtagt56

Re: Smartthings power outlets frequently not responding to echo
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:26:28 am »
Hello, I have had similar issues! I have overcome by creating rule in echo app! Such as switch power off and integrated in its power outlets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DParker

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 11:40:51 am »
Hello, I have had similar issues! I have overcome by creating rule in echo app!

There's no support for defining "rules" for SmartHome integration in the Echo/Alexa app.

Such as switch power off and integrated in its power outlets

???

mtagt56

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 11:43:53 am »
Hello, I have had similar issues! I have overcome by creating rule in echo app!

There's no support for defining "rules" for SmartHome integration in the Echo/Alexa app.

Such as switch power off and integrated in its power outlets

???

Sorry should have been specific I have set groups to bypass connectivity issues with echo/smartthings

DParker

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 12:25:45 pm »

Sorry should have been specific I have set groups to bypass connectivity issues with echo/smartthings

Groups don't bypass anything, nor have any effect at all on connectivity between Alexa and whatever it is you're trying to control.  They're just a convenient way to control multiple devices with a single voice command.  Whenever you issue a command for a given group you have defined in the app, behind the scenes the Alexa service just translates your verbal command into whatever API request is required to implement it and then repeatedly issues that request to the controlling service for each and every individual device in the group.

mtagt56

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 12:37:22 pm »

Groups don't bypass anything, nor have any effect at all on connectivity between Alexa and whatever it is you're trying to control.  They're just a convenient way to control multiple devices with a single voice command.  Whenever you issue a command for a given group you have defined in the app, behind the scenes the Alexa service just translates your verbal command into whatever API request is required to implement it and then repeatedly issues that request to the controlling service for each and every individual device in the group.

That may be correct, but in my experience this is only 100% way I have managed to get my smartthings outlets to turn on and off! The normal way up it often says no device found or I am having problems

zootweller

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 06:53:47 am »
Thanks mtagt56 - you might be onto something - I created a group with just the one smartthings item. This did not work any better than before, so I added a 2nd (non-ST) device into the group. This seems to trigger the ST device each time - very odd. This is more a workaround than a proper solution, but I'll keep an eye on things and report back after a couple days using it for my final opinion. Thanks!

mtagt56

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 06:54:57 am »
Thanks mtagt56 - you might be onto something - I created a group with just the one smartthings item. This did not work any better than before, so I added a 2nd (non-ST) device into the group. This seems to trigger the ST device each time - very odd. This is more a workaround than a proper solution, but I'll keep an eye on things and report back after a couple days using it for my final opinion. Thanks!

No problems do keep me informed I've had success with it! I was tempted to purchase wemo switch but not sure if that are any good

zootweller

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 07:46:31 am »
I spoke too soon - the groups worked initially but shortly afterwards stopped speaking to the ST devices in the group entirely. Back to square one.
What I have noticed in the Alexa 'Device Links' section were 2 items for Smartthings:
1 - Smartthings (sub-text: amazon.com-xxxxxxxxxx)
2 - Smartthings (sub-text: Smart Home. Intelligent Living)
So I unlinked both, removed ST 'skill' and the devices, re-added 'skill' #2 and re-discovered the devices yet again, but each device shows an 'offline' state - pretty much what happens if I unplug the outlets from their power sockets.. so it's still not solved.
Like before, I can 'awake' one device from the Smartthings app and the Echo will suddenly notice they are all online, but that state of affairs is short-lived and soon after the 'offline' state returns.
Deeply frustrating, and while ST support have been in contact, they seem to be as much in the dark about it as I am !

mtagt56

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 08:02:16 am »
I'll need to check mine later again but will raise a ticket

Yoda_One

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 09:59:45 am »
It sounds like ST is the cause of the problem since once it is forced to be online Echo acknowledges it active.
First I would disconnect and then reconnect the router.
Next IP contention--- this could be done by disconnecting wire/wireless devices from router/ controllers or run a IP sniffer.
Then reconnect each device one by one first the wired lastly your ST controller then plugin your wireless devices.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:21:21 am by Yoda_One »

mtagt56

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 04:12:52 am »
Any update on this

mtagt56

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 05:31:15 pm »
I spoke too soon - the groups worked initially but shortly afterwards stopped speaking to the ST devices in the group entirely. Back to square one.
What I have noticed in the Alexa 'Device Links' section were 2 items for Smartthings:
1 - Smartthings (sub-text: amazon.com-xxxxxxxxxx)
2 - Smartthings (sub-text: Smart Home. Intelligent Living)
So I unlinked both, removed ST 'skill' and the devices, re-added 'skill' #2 and re-discovered the devices yet again, but each device shows an 'offline' state - pretty much what happens if I unplug the outlets from their power sockets.. so it's still not solved.
Like before, I can 'awake' one device from the Smartthings app and the Echo will suddenly notice they are all online, but that state of affairs is short-lived and soon after the 'offline' state returns.
Deeply frustrating, and while ST support have been in contact, they seem to be as much in the dark about it as I am !

Hey I raised incident with smartthings, in meantime I set up a ifttt trigger not ideal but it's working for now

zootweller

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 04:17:41 pm »
An update - I was contacted by Smartthings on 2nd August and they acknowledged that other users were also having similar difficulties with the outlets, and that a bug had been raised.
I've had no update since but in the past couple of days the outlets have started to respond nearly 100% of the time, so I'm guessing they have fixed it.

Has anyone else noticed the improvement?

mtagt56

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 04:18:35 pm »
An update - I was contacted by Smartthings on 2nd August and they acknowledged that other users were also having similar difficulties with the outlets, and that a bug had been raised.
I've had no update since but in the past couple of days the outlets have started to respond nearly 100% of the time, so I'm guessing they have fixed it.

Has anyone else noticed the improvement?

Did you have to disconnect and reload? I had to adapt n use ifttt