Echo & Alexa Forums

How good (or bad) is the bluetooth playback with regard to music?

FatNakedGuy

Got an invite, delivery at the end of February and am wondering how good the sound is for music playback (bluetooth).

If it's marginal i'll give the echo to the kids. If it sounds decent I'll keep it.

Thanks!

Offline jwlv

Re: How good (or bad) is the bluetooth playback with regard to music?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 04:19:29 am »
As a standalone Bluetooth speaker, it is quite good. Definitely better than most of the flood of cheap Bluetooth speakers recently. But you can't expect it to sound better than your home entertainment system. After all it only has two small speakers inside, a 2.5" woofer and a 2" tweeter.

surfaday

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 11:43:53 pm »
I have wondered the same. I wonder how it compares to other bluetooth speakers - Sony SRSX3, JBL Charge, UE Boom. I own a Bose Soundlink Color and several Sonos Play:1's. I am anxious to compare when my echo arrives on Feb. 20.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:35:38 am »
I have wondered the same. I wonder how it compares to other bluetooth speakers - Sony SRSX3, JBL Charge, UE Boom. I own a Bose Soundlink Color and several Sonos Play:1's. I am anxious to compare when my echo arrives on Feb. 20.

I have not tried the Sony, JBL, or UE. The Bose Soundlink is one of the best I've ever heard for a Bluetooth speaker. The audio from the Amazon Echo is not nearly as full ranged as the Bose.  The Echo falls short on the low range. In the mid and high ranges, it sounds great. 

If you bought an Echo and only wanted to use it as a Bluetooth speaker, you'd be better off with something else for the price. If the Echo was nothing else but a Bluetooth speaker, I'd say it's worthy of a $50 price tag. For everything else the Echo can do, a $200 price tag is fairly justified.

surfaday

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:22:42 am »
Sounds like a great assessment of it's value.  I'm hoping my ship date gets moved up.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:24:22 am by surfaday »

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 08:12:55 pm »
This review from Consumer Reports says that the speaker is quite decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQkmqXS-c8

oldmangamer

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 07:07:48 pm »
Use our Echo as a Bluetooth  speaker everyday. Pairing is as simple as asking the Echo to pair. We listen to our uploaded Amazon music collection (28000 and counting...can that be right?) as well as Spotify and Pandora.
As for sound fidelity, the Amazon engineers have found a way to produce remarkable sound out of a soup can. Midrange and treble are clear, distortion-free and open but bass stops about 100 Hz. We listen to a lot of Baroque and Classical period music and it is most enjoyable.

xume

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 12:25:35 am »
Have you tried pairing echo with a blue tooth speaker?

mpatnode

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 07:50:24 pm »
Have you tried pairing echo with a blue tooth speaker?
Can't be done, wish it could.   I would pair it to my Onkyo and send the podcast/music to all the rooms in the house.

xume

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 12:11:42 pm »
Rgar is exactly what I would like to do, play it in other rooms

crewdog

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 03:22:26 pm »
I have a JBL Pulse (the one with the leds for people that like LSD) and it sounds slightly better (less tinny with more bass) than the Echo. However, the Echo is has a great sounding speakers.

Also wish that we can pair bluetooth speakers with the Echo. Maybe in the future.