Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Skill that repeats on a schedule

Offline jwlv

Alexa Skill that repeats on a schedule
« on: July 22, 2016, 09:50:32 pm »
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Are there any provisions for an Alexa skill that repeats on a schedule?

A simple example would be a grandfather clock that would chime and speak the time hourly.

Yoda_One

Re: Alexa Skill that repeats on a schedule
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 07:30:30 am »
I have not been able to do that verbally. But I do the first appointment through Echo then make the modifications in Google Calendar.

randyth

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 01:01:24 pm »
Here is an example of a grandfather clock skill for Alexa: https://www.amazon.com/Thomptronics-Audible-Clock/dp/B07QH6887V

Deborah8050

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 12:57:19 pm »
You can use "Routines" (under main menu) to set Alexa to play the Big Ben Chimes on whatever hours you schedule. Select routines, click on the "+" button to add a new routine. Set the time and select the music task and type in "Big Ben Chimes" and then select the music provider (I use Amazon Music). You will have to set up a separate routine for every hour you want the chimes to play. I have mine set beginning at 5:00 a.m. and chimes set for every hour with the last at 9:00 p.m.

It will not however chime the number of the hour, you will need to set up an additional voice message task in the routine to announce the hour. You can also add a weather report to whatever hours you want to receive it and other tasks as well, even voice announcements to yourself for reminders or simply to make things more personal. For example, at my 6:00 a.m. routine, Alexa plays the Big Ben Chimes, then says, "Good morning, the time is now 6:00 a.m" and then gives me a current weather report. And at 9:00 p.m. Alexa plays the Big Ben Chimes and then announces the hour, gives me the current weather report, then the weather forecast for tomorrow, and then finally another voice announcement that says, "Good night, sweet dreams" followed by a slow, soft song that helps me relax and go to sleep.

However, you cannot reorder the tasks. The music (including the chimes) will always play last and I want my routines to start with the chimes so I have actually set Alexa to play the chimes at the minute before the hour and then voice announce the time on the hour followed by any other tasks I have included in the routine. For example, at 5:00 a.m. Alexa plays the Big Ben Chimes. Then at 5:59 Alexa plays the Big Ben Chimes and at 6:00 a.m. Alexa greets me with "Good morning. The time is 6 o'clock," and then follows with a weather report. During the hours when only the chimes play I have them set to play on the hour. During hours when I have other tasks I have set the chimes to play the minute before so that the voice announce occurs on the hour.

Hope this helps, it's the best way I have found to do this but it would be nice if Amazon would develop a program that chimes the hour.

randyth

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 06:26:26 pm »
>it would be nice if Amazon would develop a program that chimes the hour.

Someone did.  It's called Audible Clock (www.audibleclock.com).

starrin

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:48:48 pm »
They are great to work with.  I was looking for a ship's clock App that would chime the hour and half-hour as they do at sea.  No luck until   I asked them and they originated a skill which works great.