Echo & Alexa Forums

Can the Alexa app be downloaded to you PC?

danny

Can the Alexa app be downloaded to you PC?
« on: July 20, 2016, 10:42:41 pm »
I currently do not have access to a tablet or mobile app. I connected my Echo through a friends mobile browser, but now I would like to make setting changes ect. through my PC.  Does anyone know how this can be done? Thank you

DParker

Re: Can the Alexa app be downloaded to you PC?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 11:03:39 pm »
I currently do not have access to a tablet or mobile app. I connected my Echo through a friends mobile browser, but now I would like to make setting changes ect. through my PC.  Does anyone know how this can be done? Thank you

There is no "app" for the PC.  You just access the same web page with your PC's browser that you did with a mobile browser:

http://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#settings
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:05:18 pm by DParker »

bukzin

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 01:26:22 am »
I see the app only gets 2 stars in the in the Apple store.

Thoughts why its so poorly rated?

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 03:44:05 am »
I see the app only gets 2 stars in the in the Apple store.

Thoughts why its so poorly rated?

maybe you should read the reviews in the apple store.   I am not going to read them then tell you why. 

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 02:08:16 pm »
The reason some apps (like Alexa) get poor reviews is because most of the app reviewers are full of baloney and haven't a clue of how to use the app.  I see this happen with quite a few of the apps I use and LIKE!

Anyway, so what if the Alexa app gets poor reviews -- if you have an Echo, what is your alternative!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two ways to access Alexa app via computer or mobile browsers:

alexa.amazon.com
or
echo.amazon.com

Either of these take you to the Home page.

bukzin

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »
The reason some apps (like Alexa) get poor reviews is because most of the app reviewers are full of baloney and haven't a clue of how to use the app.  I see this happen with quite a few of the apps I use and LIKE!

Anyway, so what if the Alexa app gets poor reviews -- if you have an Echo, what is your alternative!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two ways to access Alexa app via computer or mobile browsers:

alexa.amazon.com
or
echo.amazon.com

Either of these take you to the Home page.

Ah, good to know.

I also came across this artice about their web app...

http://www.howtogeek.com/243364/how-to-control-your-amazon-echo-from-the-web-instead-of-a-cramped-smartphone-app/

kbuck11

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 04:29:10 pm »

headscratcher

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 07:58:33 pm »
Can the Drop In feature be configured from the Alexa Web App?

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 09:18:19 pm »
Who knows?  Why don't YOU try and let the rest of us know if it works?

headscratcher

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 10:49:08 pm »
Who knows?  Why don't YOU try and let the rest of us know if it works?

I cannot see any Conversation function available on the Alexa Web App to activate "Drop In".  It would appear that I would need to have an Android Smart phone running 5.0 or above to complete this function.  I believe I have the latest Alexa Web App, as it now gives me an opportunity to form a group and listen to the same music through all my Echo devices. This was just announced today.

I will re-state my question, and ask if anyone has been successful in configuring the "Drop In" feature from the Web App.

Thanks. 

malliekm

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 10:58:10 pm »
I don't see the "drop in" feature listed on the website.  On my phone you tap on any given device and scroll down to General/Drop In.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 02:11:44 am »
If you are trying to set up the drop in feature you really need a smartphone to do this as well as to call other's Echos.  It's not on the Web version of app, because a smartphone is needed.  Suggest at this point you contact Echo support so they can tell you the same thing.

asianrocker

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 08:43:51 am »
There are programs to install android apps on your PC. Bluestacks is the popular one back when I search for it. Coz I want a bigger screen to play a certain android game. Either that or I want to play a game and my phone is not compatible or something.

People. there is NOTHING a PC can't do. All you really need is computer actually. How do you think these gadgets were made/programmed? Using computer. LOL.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:58:36 am by asianrocker »

headscratcher

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 08:02:49 pm »
WOW! I really thought that Bluestacks might be the answer to installing "Drop In" without a phone.  I downloaded the program and found the Alexa APP in the Google Play Store.

I ran the Alexa APP through Bluestacks, only to find the same settings that I have on the Web based Alexa App.  No Conversation setting.  Bummer!

I can understand why Amazon wants to go through a phone for the Messaging side of Alexa, but I don't know why they need to go that route for the Drop In function. Any further info out there?  Echo Customer service was of no help.