Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Sonos talks about voice control and echo

Daithi

Re: Sonos talks about voice control and echo
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 04:02:48 pm »
It doesn't mention allowing the Amazon Echo/Alexa to control your Sonos speakers. Not explicitly stating this fact implies that they will be cooking up their own dedicated voice control. This is a huge mistake.

I was actually considering upgrading my current TV speakers to a Sonos system, but since they didn't work with Echo I decided to hold off. Bottom line is that I won't buy Sonos speakers unless they work with the Echo. Any delay in time to market on the Sonos side is just stupid, so why waste their time developing their own voice control system? I'm also not interested in having two devices control my home automation. Sonos management is blowing this one.

One last thing, I ordered an Echo Dot that I can plug into my existing TV speakers (a Vision 5.1 wireless system). It may turn out this works just fine for me, and now I may not upgrade to Sonos even if they did integrate their speakers with the Echo.

Diskreet

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 02:43:26 pm »
I agree. I don't think they said they would work with echo but they didn't deny it.

I think they would be foolish to implement their own voice activation when they can integrate with something that already does an excellent job of voice control.

I am in the business of home automation and control. I hate multiple remotes and multiple apps. So the idea of multiple voice control solutions make me shudder.

Luckily thanks to my control system and ifttt I can trigger sonos favourites turn on my tv to apple TV etc etc. Works excellent.

tcoupe

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 04:13:44 pm »
I too am playing with Echo and IFTTT on my RTI control system. Works well but how many fixed phrases can a human remember exactly? "A man's got to know his limitations."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diskreet

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 04:22:31 pm »
I too am playing with Echo and IFTTT on my RTI control system. Works well but how many fixed phrases can a human remember exactly? "A man's got to know his limitations."

Geez. When you think you've found a peaceful forum to relax in away from work all of a sudden it gets turned upside down!   :-*

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 04:47:47 pm »

and that is one of the reasons I do not use ifttt or skills.  I am lucky to remember one.  I know I have subscribed to a couple of skills in the past but I just don't remember which ones  :-) so there is absolutely no way I am going to remember their phrases. 

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 04:50:14 pm »
I agree. I don't think they said they would work with echo but they didn't deny it.

I think they would be foolish to implement their own voice activation when they can integrate with something that already does an excellent job of voice control.

I am in the business of home automation and control. I hate multiple remotes and multiple apps. So the idea of multiple voice control solutions make me shudder.

Luckily thanks to my control system and ifttt I can trigger sonos favourites turn on my tv to apple TV etc etc. Works excellent.

I read an article on the verge wher they were also considering using siri.

eneisch

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 05:03:24 pm »

I read an article on the verge where they were also considering using siri.
[/quote]

Actually, since Sonos just added Apple Music integration to their app it would make sense that they would want to use Siri too. I would hope that maybe they could support both since Amazon Music is also available on the Sonos app. 

DParker

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 06:14:06 pm »
If you've got a little bit of hacker/tinkerer in you, you can make this (and a lot of other things as well) work using SmartThings and a SmartApp named "Echo Helper".

https://community.smartthings.com/t/is-there-a-way-to-control-sonos-with-echo-using-smartthings/27278/7

tcoupe

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 10:27:47 pm »

Geez. When you think you've found a peaceful forum to relax in away from work all of a sudden it gets turned upside down!   :-*

You can run but you can not hide mon friere!

Yaacovby

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 05:55:29 am »
How did u integrate echo with your RTI control system,,?