Echo & Alexa Forums

Can I Fix the Music?

suTrust

Can I Fix the Music?
« on: June 16, 2015, 12:49:36 pm »
Is there a *free* way to give Alexa access to my music library?

The simplest way is to give Amazon $24/year to let me upload my google play library to amazon prime, but that ...chafes.

Unless that would stop Alexa from playing Samples of songs, or telling me I can buy stuff, because that *enrages* me.

...Maybe being asked to buy stuff is the real problem I want to solve.

Talisman

Re: Can I Fix the Music?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »
Don't you have prime music for free and cant you create playlist as a prime member?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 03:22:01 pm »
That's the pain with digital purchases. They don't always transfer easily or free, if at all,  to other providers.
For example, I had 15 movies on Target Ticket. They shut down the site a few months ago and all of my movies were supposed to be transferred to CinemaNow. I OK'ed the transfer and my Target Ticket account shows all of the transfers were completed successfully. But in my CinemaNow account, it shows I have nothing. I contacted support several times. They say to wait and it'll come through eventually. That was 4 months ago.

I fear the same thing could happen with any digital content providers. I have different music and movies across several providers now, including UltraViolet, Google Play, iTunes, Amazon Music, and probably a few others that I forgot about. I try not to buy any digital content any more. It may be a convenience, but when you lose an entire library, it leaves a mark that you won't soon forget.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:32:04 pm by jwlv »

suTrust

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 06:34:59 pm »
I have prime, but I also have a bunch of personal music that isn't included in the Amazon Prime free music list. At this point, as far as music is concerned, Alexa is a fancy voice interface for Pandora (which isn't terrible).

jwlv, I share your pain, and I fortunately have local copies of all my music, so even of Google play and iTunes go belly-up, I have the MP3s. Irritatingly, I have only one Album from Amazon, and I need to pay them if I want to upload all of my MP3s.

luma

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 02:38:10 pm »
Is there a *free* way to give Alexa access to my music library?

The simplest way is to give Amazon $24/year to let me upload my google play library to amazon prime, but that ...chafes.

Unless that would stop Alexa from playing Samples of songs, or telling me I can buy stuff, because that *enrages* me.

...Maybe being asked to buy stuff is the real problem I want to solve.

Couldn't agree more.  Playing part of a song that I already own and then asking me to buy it rubs me the wrong way.  As a result I don't use Echo for music at all, which is in large part due to having Sonos deployed everywhere I need it.