Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Can I Fix the Music?

Can I Fix the Music?
« on: June 16, 2015, 12:49:36 pm »
Is there a *free* way to give Alexa access to my music library?

The simplest way is to give Amazon $24/year to let me upload my google play library to amazon prime, but that ...chafes.

Unless that would stop Alexa from playing Samples of songs, or telling me I can buy stuff, because that *enrages* me.

...Maybe being asked to buy stuff is the real problem I want to solve.

Re: Can I Fix the Music?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »
Don't you have prime music for free and cant you create playlist as a prime member?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 03:22:01 pm »
That's the pain with digital purchases. They don't always transfer easily or free, if at all,  to other providers.
For example, I had 15 movies on Target Ticket. They shut down the site a few months ago and all of my movies were supposed to be transferred to CinemaNow. I OK'ed the transfer and my Target Ticket account shows all of the transfers were completed successfully. But in my CinemaNow account, it shows I have nothing. I contacted support several times. They say to wait and it'll come through eventually. That was 4 months ago.

I fear the same thing could happen with any digital content providers. I have different music and movies across several providers now, including UltraViolet, Google Play, iTunes, Amazon Music, and probably a few others that I forgot about. I try not to buy any digital content any more. It may be a convenience, but when you lose an entire library, it leaves a mark that you won't soon forget.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:32:04 pm by jwlv »

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 06:34:59 pm »
I have prime, but I also have a bunch of personal music that isn't included in the Amazon Prime free music list. At this point, as far as music is concerned, Alexa is a fancy voice interface for Pandora (which isn't terrible).

jwlv, I share your pain, and I fortunately have local copies of all my music, so even of Google play and iTunes go belly-up, I have the MP3s. Irritatingly, I have only one Album from Amazon, and I need to pay them if I want to upload all of my MP3s.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 02:38:10 pm »
Is there a *free* way to give Alexa access to my music library?

The simplest way is to give Amazon $24/year to let me upload my google play library to amazon prime, but that ...chafes.

Unless that would stop Alexa from playing Samples of songs, or telling me I can buy stuff, because that *enrages* me.

...Maybe being asked to buy stuff is the real problem I want to solve.

Couldn't agree more.  Playing part of a song that I already own and then asking me to buy it rubs me the wrong way.  As a result I don't use Echo for music at all, which is in large part due to having Sonos deployed everywhere I need it.