Echo & Alexa Forums

What the fudge !!?

Magnus33

What the fudge !!?
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:12:32 am »
How can the dot connect to bluetooth receivers and speakers but the echo can't .

Hasn't it dawned at them at this point people  are going to want to hook this to other speakers or their home audio receiver.

Its the same hardware so its clear they already know how to do this.

Love the device otherwise

DParker

Re: What the fudge !!?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 11:35:12 am »
How can the dot connect to bluetooth receivers and speakers but the echo can't .

Hasn't it dawned at them at this point people  are going to want to hook this to other speakers or their home audio receiver.

Its the same hardware so its clear they already know how to do this.

Love the device otherwise

The fact that they created the Dot...for that very reason...would seem to be an answer to your question.

Magnus33

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 11:43:50 am »
I can understand the quest for more money but there a point where it gets stupid and reflects badly on amazon themselves.

Its the same hardware minus the speaker part for the dot so doing it would merely be a minor firmware update to enable this for the echo.

Its hardly going to hurt sales of  either by doing this since some are always going to want to spend less and others are going to want the built in speaker.

Yoda_One

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 02:05:44 pm »
Complaining? If you read the information prior to purchasing the Echo you would have realized what functions and ability of Echo Speaker.😎 It's just unbelievable that a person who will not READ or ASK a question especially when there is an OPTION that is availability on the Amazon Site.

Amazon Echo is a hands-free speaker you control with your voice. Echo connects to the Alexa Voice Service to play music, provide information, news, sports scores, weather, and more—instantly. All you have to do is  ask.

What bluetooth speakers is Echo compatible with?

Answer:

Since the Echo does not have Bluetooth output capabilities, only input, the answer would be none. Even if you could pair a speaker with the thing you would not be able to send any content from the Echo. For the Dot, the answer would be any speaker that does not require the entering of a PIN during the Bluetooth pairing process.
Here's a list of the features of each of the Echo type products.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202009700&ref_=pe_584750_33951330 see less
By Sean S. Tu on April 24, 2016
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:00:14 pm by Yoda_One »

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:00:46 pm »
I can understand the quest for more money but there a point where it gets stupid and reflects badly on amazon themselves.

Its the same hardware minus the speaker part for the dot so doing it would merely be a minor firmware update to enable this for the echo.

Its hardly going to hurt sales of  either by doing this since some are always going to want to spend less and others are going to want the built in speaker.
Quest for money?! Echo is a SPEAKER.. Why would anyone expect a speaker to be connecting to another speakers. The Dot on another hand is designed for that exact purpose..

Cheers,
Alex

DParker

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:21:55 pm »

I don't see how offering a lower-cost (roughly half) alternative to the Echo that does exactly what you want is either stupid or something that reflects badly on Amazon.

Its hardly going to hurt sales of  either by doing this since some are always going to want to spend less...

Those people will buy Dots.

...and others are going to want the built in speaker.

Those people will buy Echos.

No problem.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 11:06:08 pm »
Another reason they are not the "same" device.  Echo is mono and Dot and Tap are stereo.  Anyone who reads the descriptions of the different devices sees they are distinctly different.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 04:40:29 am »

don't see how it reflects badly on amazon.  It only reflects badly on those who cannot read the description of the device before purchasing. 

Magnus33

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 03:47:28 pm »
So much for having a actually discussion or helpful debate.

Really that was the only response you could come up with  lol.

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 04:01:09 pm »
I think there was one; if your missed it, re-read the thread.

iolinux333

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 12:09:33 am »
To be fair, OP is correct that a simple software update adding in the code already written for the dot would allow it to pass through to a Bluetooth receiver. It would be useful from time to time to have that option.

Yoda_One

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 07:23:53 am »
That is a big assumption since Echo was produced first and the BT receiver hardware may not have the ability to transmit.  There are subtle differences between Dot/Tap vs Echo.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 07:25:56 am by Yoda_One »

ScottinPollock

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 11:37:22 am »
That is a big assumption

NO! It is not. It uses a Qualcomm QCA6234X-AM2D that has WiFi and full Bluetooth v4.0(BLE) onboard with (of course) both Tx/Rx capability. In fact, it supports all standard profiles on BlueZ stack, including: GAP, SPP, HSP, HFP, A2DP, AVRCP, FTP, PAN, OPP, and HID.

Jeez... does everyone here just shoot from the hip when they don't have the facts?!

mike27oct

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 01:18:18 pm »
Well, I don't care if the Echo can transmit BT or not, because the Echo is mono, not stereo, So,  unless that could be rectified as well, what is the point?  Jeeze, just get and use a Dot (when available again). 

All this "stressing" over what the Echo can and cannot do.  I am just happy the Dot exists and I have one.  I think those saying the guts of the Echo and the Dot are same are "shooting from the hip".  Only Amazon knows for sure, and they are not telling.