Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

bout time honeywell

Re: bout time honeywell
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 02:30:13 am »
Thank you for all the comments assuring me that temporary hold was possible.  Before enabling the Honeywell skill, when i ran discovery, it found both of my thermostats.  After enabling the skill, and running discovery it found 4 thermostats.  The 2 are doubled up with 2 saying total connect and 2 just the thermostats.  When I try to use Alexa to set them it says that I have 2 devices named Living Room...  I "forgot" the two duplicates and it worked fine, except it would always put it into a permanent hold.  With your assurances, I went back and rediscovered and "forgot" the other two so I was left with only the two that said total connect.  Now it does go into temporary hold like it should. I really appreciate the feedback.

something similar was happening to me so maybe that is the cause.  Wink saw my honeywell thermostat and the echo picked it up.  So it meant I had two entries in the echo for the honeywell thermostat.  I kept trying to get the echo to forget the wink version but it would not stay forgotten.  Finally I put the echo version into a group by itself so I would not have the hassle of renaming it then doing another discovery.  thinking back, it was then the command started acting right and put it in the temporary hold like it was supposed to. 

itsjustmeee

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 03:33:32 pm »
I'm having problems getting mine to work. Alexa sees it, but I get "Sorry, that command doesn't work on device 'thermostat'" when I issue a command. I've tried pretty much every combination of words and nothing seems to work. When I open the Alexa app, I see it there under "Your Devices" .... "THERMOSTAT (Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Thermostat)" and I'm able to adjust the temperature with the Total Connect App but no dice with Alexa. Any thoughts?

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 04:55:12 pm »
I'm having problems getting mine to work. Alexa sees it, but I get "Sorry, that command doesn't work on device 'thermostat'" when I issue a command. I've tried pretty much every combination of words and nothing seems to work. When I open the Alexa app, I see it there under "Your Devices" .... "THERMOSTAT (Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Thermostat)" and I'm able to adjust the temperature with the Total Connect App but no dice with Alexa. Any thoughts?

exactly what command are you giving?   I say Alexa, set thermostat to 75 degrees.  do you have two thermostats in your echo smarthome listing?

itsjustmeee

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 05:02:54 pm »

exactly what command are you giving?   I say Alexa, set thermostat to 75 degrees.  do you have two thermostats in your echo smarthome listing?

I just tried those exact words. I got back "That command doesn't work on device thermostat". I went in to my Honeywell Total Connect and it is indeed called "THERMOSTAT". And yes, I only have the one. On the Total Connect webpage, "My Locations" are "Home" and it's the only thermostat. Odd. I can't figure out what I can be doing wrong

I'm wondering if there's something special I haven't done because I'm using a RedLINK Internet Gateway. According to Honeywell, it should work fine. This from their website...

"All Wi-Fi are supported. RedLINK is also supported when coupled with a RedLINK Internet Gateway."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:06:57 pm by itsjustmeee »

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 05:22:35 pm »
try forgetting in the amazon app and let the echo discover it again.  also try a power cycle = unplugging the echo for a 10 count then plug it back in. 

Yoda_One

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 05:34:02 pm »
Try a different name in Total Connect, I use "Main_House and Back_House"
I say "Alexa Set Main House to 76 degrees" Alexa says "Setting Back House to 76.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:49:09 pm by Yoda_One »

itsjustmeee

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 06:33:13 pm »
Odd. I've tried all three suggestions with no luck. A power cycle, forgetting in the amazon app and renaming the device (I renamed it back to "thermostat" after trying a couple of other names). It still won't accept my commands. If I say, "Alexa, set thermostat to 63 degrees", I get "Sorry, that command doesn't work on device 'thermostat'". If I say "Alexa, +3 to thermostat" (even though I know that's not a command it knows), it will say "I can only set the temperature between 40 and 90 degrees". If I say "Alexa, set temperature to 64 degrees", she says "which device did you want?" and then I say "Thermostat" and she says""Sorry, that command doesn't work on device 'thermostat'".

I'm beginning to think that this particular model of thermostat has very specific commands that I can issue to it. There's no AC, just heat so maybe that has something to do with it?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 06:43:59 pm by itsjustmeee »

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 04:11:59 am »
what is the exact model of the thermostat?  you may want to try contacting customer service in your alexa app and ask them. 

Yoda_One

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 02:05:05 pm »
@itsjustmeee do you have a WiFi enabled Honeywell thermostat? If you do make sure the WiFi is active, easy to verify just looking at the front of the thermostat. Next bring up Total Connect App and ask it to change the temperature or bypass the microphone icon and manually make a temperature change in the Total Connect and then verify by looking at your thermostat.
iF it works properly then.................Start the Alexa App, find the Honeywell Skill automation, read the simple instruction, start the Skill and make sure you have Echo do a Smart Discovery. Be patient, do not like me, it took about 5 minutes for everything to sync/
communicate before it worked properly. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:16:45 pm by Yoda_One »

itsjustmeee

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 02:32:15 pm »
@itsjustmeee do you have a WiFi enabled Honeywell thermostat? If you do make sure the WiFi is active, easy to verify just looking at the front of the thermostat. Next bring up Total Connect App and ask it to change the temperature or bypass the microphone icon and manually make a temperature change in the Total Connect and then verify by looking at your thermostat.
iF it works properly then.................Start the Alexa App, find the Honeywell Skill automation, read the simple instruction, start the Skill and make sure you have Echo do a Smart Discovery. Be patient, do not like me, it took about 5 minutes for everything to sync/
communicate before it worked properly. Good Luck!

It is wifi and I can easily change the temp on my iPhone with the Honeywell Thermostat app. I know that Echo can see it because if I go into the Smart Home section of the Alexa app, I see it there under Your Devices .... "Thermostat (Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Thermostat)". I've tried changing names of the Thermostat, telling Alexa to find my devices at least 15 times now and even a hard reset of the Echo all with no luck. When I say "Alexa, set the thermostat to 62 degrees", I just get "Sorry, that command doesn't work on device 'thermostat'". Not sure if the "Permenent Hold" has anything to do with it or not. I just haven't found the right thing to say to Alexa to get her to change the temp settings.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 04:24:39 pm »
second request for the model number of the thermostat.  we are at the point where we need that info since  what should work is not working.  Not all wifi thermostats will work with the echo. 

itsjustmeee

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 07:43:09 pm »
second request for the model number of the thermostat.  we are at the point where we need that info since  what should work is not working.  Not all wifi thermostats will work with the echo.

it says on the Operating Manual that it's a FocusPro TH6320R Wireless Thermostat and it connects via a RedLINK THM6000R.

According to the Honeywell website, it should work ...... "All Wi-Fi are supported. RedLINK is also supported when coupled with a RedLINK Internet Gateway."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:04:54 pm by itsjustmeee »

itsjustmeee

itsjustmeee

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 01:37:56 pm »
I'm curious if there's been any news on this or if anyone has been able to get their echo to work with a Honeywell thermostat with a RedLINK Gateway.

Thanks.