Echo & Alexa Forums

Convert Echo Dot 3.5mm output to mono

SourceSimian

Convert Echo Dot 3.5mm output to mono
« on: June 26, 2016, 02:31:51 am »
I have an Echo dot plugged into a stereo amplifier via the 3.5mm jack: all works well.  I would like to get mono output though, so I can have each speaker turned a different direction and not miss anything regardless of where in the room I am.  Ideally this would be a setup option but I didn't see anything like it.  Would merging the stereo output into 1 mono output and then splitting it again into stereo output (effectively shorting the stereo output) work?  I know on some devices it works and gives adequate sound quality, other devices it works and gives lousy sound quality, and on still other devices it doesn't work and fries your device.

So... where does the Echo Dot fall?

mike27oct

Re: Convert Echo Dot 3.5mm output to mono
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:35:35 pm »
This is an AUDIO question and not a DOT-related question.  My stereo amp has a mono switch that converts the audio out into mono.  Doesn't yours?

SourceSimian

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 06:07:23 pm »
I had 2 klipsch bookshelf speakers leftover when I pared down my home theater 5.1 setup to a 3.1 that I got tired of looking at sitting idle, so I made a very minimal investment in a dedicated amplifier to use them with the dot:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018BS16DW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...feature-filled it is not  :)

It is indeed an audio question, but it has the potential to brick the dot, and the only team that can definitely answer whether or not the device supports this feature is the dot engineering team... or someone who took the plunge and found out one way or another, so I didn't feel like this was the wrong forum to ask.

Yoda_One

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 06:13:04 pm »
OK but it really doesn't hold water. Any cheap amp that has a preamp built-in will work with 3.5mm input. That is the whole point having an amp connected to the appropriate ohm speakers. The one from Amazon is BT so why just use BT connection.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:17:01 pm by Yoda_One »

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 06:16:54 pm »
OK, so go to Radio Shack, and online store etc, to buy a stereo to mono 3.5mm  conversion plug that combines the L/R from Dot audio out. into one (mono) signal to input into your amp. It won't brick anything; it is a standard audio issue and solution. 

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=35mm+stereo+to+mono+adapter&tag=googhydr-20&index=electronics&hvadid=8045751444&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1746234336267325598&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2rsf6gqgqd_b

SourceSimian

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 07:14:39 pm »
Yoda_One I am using connecting the 3.5mm Echo Dot output to the amps RCA inputs, I am not using its Bluetooth functionality (which would totally prevent me from merging stereo to mono).

SourceSimian

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 07:44:23 pm »
mike27oct: My knowledge of home audio is patchy at best, but I believe most of those 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm mono "converters" actually only take 1 channel (left or right): if you plugged a headphone into it you would only get sound in 1 ear.  What I am proposing is to short L+R, before feeding it into my amp; which according to various online sources does carry some risks (device-dependent).

Ideally the Echo Dot would be able to do this in software (as my android phone can), but since it doesn't seem to be able to, I am left with this solution (cheap but potentially dangerous to the dot), or buying a converter box that does this (and realistically, I would just buy another amplifier which has this feature built-in as yours does before I did that).  But I won't buy another amplifier: if this can't be done on a shoestring it won't be done at all.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 09:04:53 pm »
OK, I retract my previous comments.  Some of the reviews I read said these things (3.5mm Stereo Plug to 3.5mm Mono Jack Adapter) only sent one channel.  I have used the reverse plug (a mono to stereo adapter)in the past with success.  So ,I will stay our of this conversation now.