Echo & Alexa Forums

How to setup “my” AC?

How to setup “my” AC?
« on: April 06, 2023, 05:20:30 pm »
So I have multiple ACs setup at home using smart plugs connected to Alexa. I’ve named then as XYZ AC based on the room. Everytime I tell Alexa “turn on my AC”, it turns on my Dad’s AC. Not sure why and how to change it. Kindly guide. Thanks.

Re: How to setup “my” AC?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 07:40:04 am »
So I have multiple ACs setup at home using smart plugs connected to Alexa. I’ve named then as XYZ AC based on the room. Everytime I tell Alexa “turn on my AC”, it turns on my Dad’s AC. Not sure why and how to change it. Kindly guide. Thanks.

You'd be better off naming all items completely different things. Instead of using the same word in each one, just name them something like Bob, Jim, and Dave... or even Tweety, Sylvester and Mickey.... Just avoid using the same word in names over and over... don't even name a room and what is in it using the same word. Things like "Daves room" and "Daves AC" will conflict even if they are only slightly different. It took me weeks to sort this out on some of my lighting. Once everything in your echo system is distinctly differently named, things should be significantly easier to control.

So Name the AC's different names... If they are also selected as in a room or group, make sure those are completely different as well. "Daves AC" could be in "Back Room". But avoid naming using the word room even. Unless you only use that word on ONE room, the rest of rooms would be called berth, chamber, closet, anything except " ____ room"
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 12:31:46 pm »
This will not happen if you assign each AC to a separate group by room and have an echo device in each room. Then you should not even have to call the full name of the AC unit in the room your calling for AC on or off. My lights and fans operate respectively.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 05:33:41 pm »
Like what Joachim47 said, if you have an Echo device in each room, you can group other smart devices together with that Echo.
For example, if your bedroom has an Echo Dot, and you have a smart light bulb and a smart AC, you can put all three things together in one group (via the Alexa app). In essence, the light bulb and the AC now belong to the one Echo Dot in your bedroom. So when you say, Alexa turn on the light (or turn on the AC), the Echo Dot knows that "light" only refers to the one light that belongs to it, which is the one in your bedroom and not any other light in the house. Same goes for the AC or any other smart device you choose to put together in one group.

However, if you are in the living room and speaking to a different Echo Dot and say Alexa turn off the light, Alexa will not know which light you are talking about. I'm not sure what happens in this case. It might ask you which light you want, or it might just turn off the most recently used light, or just randomly choose one on its own.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 06:12:31 pm »
Another situation can occur when you have open hallway connection between rooms that the voice command is received from another echo device. For this it is smart to change the call names so there is no acoustic interference between echo devices near to each other or only separated by thin uninsulated walls.