Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Routines using Android App Only

Alexa Routines using Android App Only
« on: April 05, 2023, 09:36:52 am »
I have just received an Alexa compatible kettle, and would like to setup a routine from the Alexa app in my android phone. The routine will turn on the kettle if the Alexa app is open, however if the phone is locked, it will not start the routine.

Is it possible to use my phone as an Alexa device to trigger routines, even while it is locked? I am open to buying a dot or other compatible device, but would like to avoid it if possible.

I apologize ahead of time if this is terribly simple, but after searching online I cannot find many examples of folks using their phones only as the device to trigger the routine.

Re: Alexa Routines using Android App Only
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 05:59:24 pm »
Look under apps ALEXA and select App battery usage and see what settings are set. If you use unrestricted things should work after auto lock on the phone. I checked on mine that my Phone app has that setting so I continue seeing what comes in on the phone and gets the message on my PC. So this is the trick to avoid things get shut down when phone goes into power savings mode. (this is on Pixel 6)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 09:13:52 pm »
Are you saying you don't have any Echo devices? And you only have the Alexa app on your phone?

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 01:40:32 pm »
Are you saying you don't have any Echo devices? And you only have the Alexa app on your phone?

I believe that is correct. I do not have an Echo. I do have an Alexa compatible kettle, and in the description it says "
WORKS WITH ALEXA, Add voice control by combining with an Alexa device." I assume my phone can be the "Alexa device".
 - here is the link to said kettle (https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Integration-Auto-Shutoff-41036/dp/B09FB2CFZT/ref=asc_df_B09FB2CFZT?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264479270979&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863999422463&psc=1)

I only have the Alexa app on my phone.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 03:44:42 pm »
The problem with using your phone is it does lock.   Even smart lock is only good for a few hours.    A better option would be using your pc by installing the Alexa app from the Microsoft store on your Windows os.   The downside is you would have to stay logged into your computer.   

IMO, get yourself a cheap dot and use it.   They go on sale quite a bit or get one on woot.   It will save you from a lot of connection headaches.     

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 06:05:03 pm »
If you keep the phone on a charger things will continue to work

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 03:54:19 am »
If you keep the phone on a charger things will continue to work

nope, you still have to keep the phone active unless you are using smart lock. 

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 05:16:10 pm »
smart unlock has no direct affect on processes running on the phone. So the issue may still be a power management issue which halts processes that are not declared to run uninterrupted which might be the reason that a scheduled routine on the phone will not continue to run when the phone is locked and power control stops the operation.