Echo & Alexa Forums

Specifically Dot 3 audio quality

Specifically Dot 3 audio quality
« on: January 15, 2023, 08:16:05 pm »
I have a dot 2 and a dot 5, sound quality is clear with no problems.

However, the 2x dot 3's I have, the sound from Alexa's responses is completely unintelligible at the worse and bad at the best. No top end, just muffled like it is covered with a pillow.

The EQ settings in the app make no difference whatsoever to Alexa's spoken responses, no change - EQ does not seem to touch Alexa's responses.

EQ does however change the quality from any streaming of Amazon music or streaming radio stations and it is quite acceptable.

I talked to customers services who were assuring me this seems strange and they haven't heard of it before 🤔 I sent one back for an exchange..which is exactly the same.
Warranty period expired just after that so I'm stuck with it.

Anyone else or just me? If so, is there a fix for it without using external speakers?

Thanks

Offline AlanH

Re: Specifically Dot 3 audio quality
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 05:05:12 am »
Both Dot 3rd gens running latest firmware?

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 09:20:48 am »
just for clarification, you are saying music is okay but not the spoken word?     

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 07:46:10 am »
Yeah, both updated to latest.
Both Dot 3rd gens running latest firmware?

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 07:53:01 am »
Exactly that.
Music is crisp with acceptable top end.
When asking  'Alexa, what is the weather' for example, it results in a muffled, over-bassy, low treble and low mid response in which altering the EQ does not change it whatsoever.

just for clarification, you are saying music is okay but not the spoken word?   

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 11:20:07 pm »
Try setting Alexa to a different voice in the app. Alexa now supports several different voices and accents. Perhaps changing to a different voice and then changing it back will reset the voice quality some how.