Echo & Alexa Forums

astro invite

astro invite
« on: December 14, 2022, 12:55:05 pm »
after waiting well over a year, finally got my invite for the privilege of paying 1k for an echo device on wheels.   I think I will pass on this.    I might have gotten it if I got the invite a year earlier.    Gave me plenty of time to hear more about it and change my mind.   

Offline jwlv

Re: astro invite
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 03:07:32 am »
Good call. It's way too expensive to justify the purchase for what it can actually do. After a while it became an annoyance having it being in the way sometimes. It really should have a camera in the rear so that it can move out of the way when it sees someone coming. It doesn't even move out of the way if it is facing you. But it is made the same way as the Echo Show 10 (3rd gen). The screen along with the camera can rotate left and right and move up and down, but that's it. The other camera that telescopes up isn't used unless you extend the telescope. But if it is extended, it won't allow you to move Astro fearing that it may run into something.

Although this did not happen with me during the time I had the Astro, I can imagine that it would happen had I kept it. Quite often I am bringing in bags of groceries and what not. The Astro is short. If I'm carrying bags of groceries (or a couple of stacks of bottled water from Costco) I won't be able to see the floor directly in front of me. If Astro decided to hang out there, I'd trip over the thing, break Astro, smash my groceries, and crack my head in the process.