Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo wont connect to wifi

mike27oct

Re: Echo wont connect to wifi
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 08:44:51 pm »
Actually, this should not confuse any wireless device like an Echo; the device will connect to either based upon the strongest signal.  This said, since day one, I named my signals "my network"_2.4G and "my network"_5G. So I could tell them apart since I always wanted to be connected to one or the other.  Since I do a lot of streaming of video, I always want to be on the 5G signal.  The Echo is less demanding, so it is on the 2.4G signal.  I even have a range extender for both bands, and it's name ends with _EXT because I want my FIre Stick on 5G, but not the main signal.  I don't even let my phone or tablets connect to 2.4G ever; always on the 5G.

Louzilla

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 12:06:59 am »
Having the same problem.  I have a Netgear 2.4 and 5G wifi router.  Echo tech support told me to change the security setting from WPA2-PSK [AES] to WPA-PSK [TKIP] but my router wont allow me to make the change for some reason.  I was told to call Netgear and see why I can't make the change.  He had no other solutions.  Very frustrated.   >:(

Louzilla

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 12:56:33 am »
Having the same problem.  I have a Netgear 2.4 and 5G wifi router.  Echo tech support told me to change the security setting from WPA2-PSK [AES] to WPA-PSK [TKIP] but my router wont allow me to make the change for some reason.  I was told to call Netgear and see why I can't make the change.  He had no other solutions.  Very frustrated.   >:(

I created a secure Guest Network with WPA-PSK and BINGO it connected. 

mike27oct

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 03:45:22 am »
Glad it worked for you. but just because it worked is not the best option.  My Echo gets on my "regular" 2.4 signal as well as on my Guest signal and they are set up exactly the same except for the passwords.

A few years ago when I set up my dual-band N router that replaced the old trusty G router, I quickly discovered that setting up the new router's various wireless settings was a foreign language to me.  So I dug in and did some research.  I experimented with various options.  I found that to make the router work with legacy G and even B devices there was a price to pay in speed and security.

Since our house was now full of newer laptops, numerous mobile devices like iThings, Kindle tablet and other similar gadgets (that keep appearing!), they all had one thing in common.  They were all N devices.  We really were not using older devices anymore.

So, at that point, I settled on restricting the router to:
Wireless Mode setting of "N Only"  goodbye to anything less
Authentication Method at the highest level of: WPA2 Personal
Which then enabled me to set the highest level, of
WPA Encryption to only be AES 
Both 2.4G and 5G use these settings.

It's been set this way for a few years now, and no more experimenting with settings.  It works great for our gadgets and for everyone with N gear who visits us.  And remember, these settings maximize the performance of N gadgets so they attain their full wireless speed and security potential when on my network.

Want more info and proof: just Google for AES vs PSK and the first few articles help to understand this stuff.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:54:25 am by mike27oct »

drbucknell

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 11:27:09 pm »
Big hint that took me HOURS to figure out but finally worked.  I have Mediacom, and could not get my new Echo to accept password whatsoever.  Called tech support and they thought it was because I had a # in the password which I changed and still nothing.  Finally from within my router's control panel there is an option "Network Assigned to Radio" with both a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz box checked.  I unchecked the 5GHz box and once setting saved the Echo FINALLY accepted my password and connected!  No clue why it worked but it did, maybe someone else can explain as I just got lucky.  As I didn't see any suggestion for this anywhere I figured I'd better leave it in comments for others.

mike27oct

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 03:26:35 am »
Many dual band routers set up by owners and ISPs in the past years were not set up to distinguish between the 2.4G band and the 5G bands by using distinct names.  More recently owners and ISPs are using distinct names for the two router signals.  So, now when connecting devices one can select which Band to use for specific purposes.  Devices that require fastest band , the 5G, like for streaming video need to always be on this band so they are set up for it.  Devices that do not require the higher speeds should be on the 2.4G band, this includes the Echo devices because even music streaming does not require anywhere the bandwidth HD video needs

also, some devices can get confused if they do not have a distinct band to connect to as they can often switch between the bands depending upon varying signal strengths. This could be the case with the Echo under certain conditions.

So. Use distinct names such as MyNetwork_2.4G and MyNetwork_5G.  Use the 2.4G network for connecting Echos, And the 5G to connect tablets that will be streaming videos. Works great for my gear, and I have over 30 devices connected to my network and over half operate wirelessly, and others are wired to the network.  I have no wireless connection issues.

Raven_Squire

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 11:41:15 pm »
We've had an Echo and an Echo Dot for some time now, they were both set up without a problem.  A few days ago our router had a problem and when it was all said and done, neither the echo or the dot would reconnect.  After reading the suggestions in this thread, I was able to reconnect the dot by resetting it, deleting the alexa app and reinstalling it.  However, no amount of trying could make the echo reconnect.  After struggling for days, I realized that in resolving the router issue, we basically had to re-enter it as though it were a new router.  Same password, but the name slightly changed because I didn't pay attention to how the system set it up (we have it listed as "ourlinksys.b.4" whereas the "new" router was listed as linksys.b.4".  Once I changed the router name to "ourlinkysy..." echo connected right up without a problem.  Of course that threw the dot off the grid, but it connected up quickly and easily as well. 

I don't wish anyone Echo/dot connection problems.  They are frustrating and time consuming to say the least.

DParker

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 01:03:07 am »
We've had an Echo and an Echo Dot for some time now, they were both set up without a problem.  A few days ago our router had a problem and when it was all said and done, neither the echo or the dot would reconnect.  After reading the suggestions in this thread, I was able to reconnect the dot by resetting it, deleting the alexa app and reinstalling it.  However, no amount of trying could make the echo reconnect.  After struggling for days, I realized that in resolving the router issue, we basically had to re-enter it as though it were a new router.  Same password, but the name slightly changed because I didn't pay attention to how the system set it up (we have it listed as "ourlinksys.b.4" whereas the "new" router was listed as linksys.b.4".  Once I changed the router name to "ourlinkysy..." echo connected right up without a problem.  Of course that threw the dot off the grid, but it connected up quickly and easily as well. 

I don't wish anyone Echo/dot connection problems.  They are frustrating and time consuming to say the least.

The part in red means that this wasn't an Echo/Dot connection problem.  This was a "changed my Router's SSID and didn't tell the Echo/Dot about it" problem.  Anything else you had connected to the router prior the SSID change would have had exactly the same problem.

Yoda_One

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 09:23:03 am »
You have learned a vital lesson. In this field you learn always start with what was modified and work backwards. Never assume anything. When troubleshooting especially when I would enter a client's domain, I would asked first for the documentation, all passwords and modifications/changes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:05:16 pm by Yoda_One »

mike27oct

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 04:22:35 pm »
Also, when I was fixing high-tech military electronic gear, never assume the device indicating the problem IS THE CAUSE of the problem, e.g. printer output is garbled or non-existent.  Bingo, bad printer, of course.  Nope, bad input to printer; find the source of the bad printer input, and you have found the cause of the problem. 
Garbage in, garbage out.

FSU_JAGS

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 07:09:51 pm »
Just received my DOTs and was having trouble with them connecting to my wifi... a bit of a different issue maybe but could be of use to someone.  When trying to setup wifi through my Alexa App it would get to configure wifi and the screen just stayed blank.

1.  I had to connect my phone with the Alexa app to the wifi the DOT was putting out
2.  I had to disable the Smart Network Switch on my phone (automatically switches between wi-fi and mobile networks, and between 2.4 and 5.0GHz.

As soon as I disabled that switch, the Alexa app went from a blank white screen to the find a new network screen,  and all was well thereafter.

mike27oct

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 11:18:00 pm »
Sounds like a (Samsung?) phone issue again.

Tri_04

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2016, 03:49:05 pm »
Bought an echo on a visit to New York and back in Monaco I can't get it to connect to wifi :(

On the app I get to the screen where I switch to Amazon-xxx wifi network, and the phone/tablet/PC (I have tried them all) connects with Echo immediately. But then I don't get the "continue" tab on the screen so the only choice I get is to cancel the setup.

Help!

mindmagic

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 05:23:00 am »
Just received my DOTs and was having trouble with them connecting to my wifi... a bit of a different issue maybe but could be of use to someone.  When trying to setup wifi through my Alexa App it would get to configure wifi and the screen just stayed blank.

1.  I had to connect my phone with the Alexa app to the wifi the DOT was putting out
2.  I had to disable the Smart Network Switch on my phone (automatically switches between wi-fi and mobile networks, and between 2.4 and 5.0GHz.

As soon as I disabled that switch, the Alexa app went from a blank white screen to the find a new network screen,  and all was well thereafter.

That's interesting. My Echo refused to connect on 2.4 GHz but was fine on 5 GHz. It may well have been because my phone with the app was on 5 GHz at the time. I'll bear that in mind if I need to reconnect; both my Echo and my newer Dot are running more or less happily on 5 GHz at the moment.

sillysandy2

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 02:39:49 pm »
I am a senior non techie.  I've read the info re: separating dual band router but have no idea how you do that.  I have an asus rt-ac68w.  You and several members have mentioned this as well as one of the echo support staff.  Unfortunately those of us without much technical background have no clue how to do it.  Any suggestions?  Should I get someone to come in and help me?  Love the echo when it works but can't keep it connected.