Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo wont connect to wifi

turqu0isemoon

Re: Echo wont connect to wifi
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2017, 03:44:09 pm »
So,  I was having this same issue. I couldn't  connect my echo dot  to my WiFi.  It kept saying bad password.  It turns out, my phone kept auto correcting my password. I have special characters so after the last character it kept adding a space therefore making it a "bad"  password. It took me a couple of tries to figure it out all the while saying "I Did ENTER THE RIGHT F*$%ing PASSWORD,  WTF??? " Make sure your device isn't  adding spaces to your password.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:49:33 pm by turqu0isemoon »

pdub517

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2017, 08:26:50 pm »
Hey All -

I've been searching the internet for days trying to figure out why this silly Echo suddenly stopped connecting to my Asus network. 

A bit of history on myself - I've had my Echo for roughly 12 months, and use it daily.  We purchased a second Echo Dot for our bedroom because we love it so much.  I work as an IT Deployment Manager at a large company, and am MCSA certified.  I'm technology minded, and have a knack for troubleshooting difficult problems, and finding unorthodox solutions.  The fact that this took me a few days, was an exciting and frustrating challenge.

My two year old home consists of ~20 cat 6 connected devices home run back to a dumb gigabit switch, with about 10 wireless tablets, computers, tv, cameras, etc on a full Gigabit network.  My network hardware is by no means top of the line, but is more adequate to handle the load of hard wired, and wirelessly connected devices.

The Problem - About a week ago, while we were entertaining ~15 guests, the Echo (that was playing music at the time) just magically disconnected from my wireless network.  Thinking the wireless was just overloaded with the number of guests, I tried simply rebooting the Echo with no success.  After another reboot and a quick troubleshooting on the Alexa app, I left it for the night to sit.

Troubleshooting - The next day I decided to do some further troubleshooting by disconnecting a few of my wireless devices and trying to connect again.. no success.  I put the Echo into Setup Mode, tried rerunning the setup through the Alexa app with no success.  Echo would try to connect to my wifi, get about half way threw and throw a "There was an error registering your device. Visit Help for troubleshooting tips" "Please try again Error 10:2:5:28:4".  I then decided to take drastic measures by hitting the reset button, and disassociating it from my Amazon account.  Restarted the setup, still with NO SUCCESS! GAH!

At this point the Echo is not tied to any account, WILL try to connect to my 2.4Ghz, and 5Ghz WIFI, but fails about half way through connecting. To further test my WIFI network, I even disconnected the Echo Dot from Wifi, and it easily connected back again. Seems to be a direct issue with the Echo, right?

Resolution - This last thing I tried is still throwing me for a loop, and must be a bug in my hardware, or the firmware on the Alexa, I just need to try to reproduce it.  This evening, I decided that the last darn thing I can do is reset my ASUS RT-AC68U router.  I took a backup of the configuration in the "Advanced Settings", Factory Reset the router, then Restored the configuration on the router, and VOILA!  Echo connected within 10 seconds.  WOO HOO!  Still can't figure out why, and probably never will, but something must have been stuck in memory on my router that was blocking Echo from getting out and associating with my Amazon Account.

I hope this helps someone else. 

Paul

Offline jwlv

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2017, 08:38:37 pm »
I have a similar router, the RT-AC87U. There is a little known fact about these routers that when you upgrade the firmware, ASUS recommends that you do a factory reset. I remember reading about this in one of the firmware release notes.

I never thought that doing a factory reset was necessary after upgrading the firmware and thus I never did it. But over several months, I've noticed that the router would randomly go offline from the Internet. WiFi and Ethernet would stay connected, but nothing would go out to the Internet. It happens at random times with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it happens every few days or few weeks. But it always fixes itself after a few minutes after it goes offline.

Then I remembered that little fact about doing a factory reset. I finally did the factory reset and I haven't had any problems since.

If you've ever upgraded the firmware and did not do a factory reset, that could be the cause of some unexplainable problems.

luckey

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2017, 05:24:35 pm »
If you are having trouble getting your echo to connect to your wifi, and you've exhausted all other ideas (e.g., separating your dual band wifi, updating your alexa app, rebooting your router/AP/echo), I suggest you try running the setup app through a different device.  I was having no luck using the alexa app on my iphone, but the setup proceeded smoothly on the ipad.  Both apps were up to date.  I don't know why, but that worked for me.

Rg23

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2017, 04:15:07 pm »
Hi, I spent several hours trying to connect my Alexa to a netgear router to no avail. (Massively frustrating) Found a note on here to turn off wi-fi + on my smart phone and hey presto connected first time!!

Good luck!

scottydwise

Re: Echo wont connect to wifi---solved
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2017, 02:45:18 pm »
I had this issue after moving to a new house. My echo dot could not finish set up. I called tech support and after 30 minutes we figured out it was because my router was not in WPS mode. not all router have WPS so be careful when selecting. My router was easy. I had a WPS button on the front of the router. I held it down for 3-5 seconds and good to go. Echo setup became a breeze. Please check your routers.....

nicolec

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 02:09:35 pm »
My Echo dot continuously loses its connection to Wi-Fi. Everything else on my Wi-Fi (laptop and phone) work perfectly fine. Whenever I reset my router or modem it connects just fine but then within 8-48 hours it loses the connection again and will not connect. I've been on the phone with amazon tech support several times and once we reset the router and it connects we end the call and then some hours later it loses its connection again so we never get to the base of the problem. We even looped in AT&T tech support on one of the calls and still nothing as all they did was remotely reset my modem and then when it connected they said great and ended the call. Then about a day later it disconnected again.

According to a thread i found apparently having the 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections named the same is the problem. But I tried renaming my 2.4 ghz connection and my echo dot has connected to it. Then just like an hour or so later it disconnected. All my other devices are still connected to the wifi.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

Mike echo

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 09:03:29 pm »
Mine was doing the same, then I found out that the IP address the echo was getting was the same as the static ip that I was using for a security cam. I went into my router and have the echo an ip and nwas more issues.