Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo wont connect to wifi

Klecrone

Echo wont connect to wifi
« on: June 12, 2015, 03:53:59 pm »
I received my echo yesterday and cannot get it to connect to my WiFi. I have tried all of the trouble shooting steps and no luck. I killed the WiFi from my phone and tablet and reconnected them in the same location as the Echo and they came up fine. I ran a speed test with my phone on the Echo. Download speed of 15mbs. Any suggestions?

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo wont connect to wifi
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 04:08:51 pm »
You'll probably get help fastest by calling Amazon support directly.
Go here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us
Login if you have to.
Then click on the Fire and Kindle button (Amazon put the Echo in the same category as Fire & Kindle)
The rest is self-explanatory. They're pretty quick to answer phone calls. You won't have to wait on hold for 3 hours like some other companies.

AquabatX

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:35:18 pm »
You can also reach Amazon Echo Customer Support by phone directly and toll-free at 1-877-375-9365. We're available from 3 a.m. to 10 p.m Pacific time, seven days a week.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 07:06:09 am »
You can also reach Amazon Echo Customer Support by phone directly and toll-free at 1-877-375-9365. We're available from 3 a.m. to 10 p.m Pacific time, seven days a week.

We're?  Are you Amazon CS just lurking around here?  That's wonderful. I was wondering when someone from CS would come up for air.  :)

AquabatX

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 08:11:58 am »
 ;)

crewdog

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 03:28:10 pm »
I also had a problem when I was trying to set the Echo up. It wouldn't connect to my wifi (802.11n network).

Turned out that the echo was TOO close to the router.
Moved it a few feet away and connected without a problem.
(Need to get some lead underwear when around the router...)  :o

lroux

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:10:55 am »
I originally had an issue where the Echo wouldn't connect to my wifi at first too.  I have a strong signal in the house and all other devices connect fine.  After about 5 tries it suddenly connected.  I suggest to keep trying.

Bcmg82

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 10:23:54 am »
Did you finally get your echo to connect?

lisajuly

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 02:26:20 pm »
reset...paperclip in bottom of unit. reset.  hold for 5 seconds.  magic, works!

watchdog

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 10:44:12 pm »
I wrestled with this several times. Trying to connect to my guest-connection - which requires a password - but the box for inserting a password doesn't come up.

CS suggested modifying the MAC table with ECHO's MAC address set as always allow. If I do that, do I then have to set up all my allowed devices in the table?

Seems like the ECHO should detect the need for a password and open the box for login thru the ECHO app.

chuque

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 07:20:08 pm »
I too am having issues connecting to my wifi.  my password includes special chars (* seems to be the offending one)  which has never been an issue in the past. but in testing why it kept erroring out I created a guest network with just letters and numbers connected right up. can anyone verify that for some reason the echo has issues with * in the password when no other device I have has had such issue?

HockeyGuy in Texas

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 08:25:29 pm »
I live in Austin, TX and have service with AT&T | U-verse with AT&T GigaPower. My router/modem is capable of using both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies. The Amazon Echo device cannot connect via WiFi unless the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies are assigned different home network names. After calling AT&T tech support and renaming my 5GHz network, I could immediately connect to that network.

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 09:47:02 pm »
You likely would be better off using 2.4G for the Echo, because that freq has longer range and depending upon where your router and Echo are relatively located, you might get a stronger signal from 2.4. I do, so my Echo is on 2.4G with other "slower" devices. Besides, the Echo does not require higher bandwidth, since it only streams music.  Video streaming of HD, on the other hand, does require higher bandwidth, and is why 5G was created.  Now that you can differentiate between the two, use any wireless video streaming to devices using the 5G.  I do.  In fact, I don't even allow my phone and tablet to connect to my 2.4G; only to 5G.

randytho

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 09:00:43 am »
I received my echo yesterday and cannot get it to connect to my WiFi. I have tried all of the trouble shooting steps and no luck. I killed the WiFi from my phone and tablet and reconnected them in the same location as the Echo and they came up fine. I ran a speed test with my phone on the Echo. Download speed of 15mbs. Any suggestions?

My echo was working perfectly then poof. Lost connection and now will NOT connect.  I was told to reset, which I did of course this deregisters your echo then before you can register it again and SEE it on your amazon devices it must be connected...which of course it won't do.  Yes I've rebooted the router and the machine but now the Alex app won't even see ANY wifi connections.  Called Amazon and after 4 offshore techs kept transferring me to different lines, one finally said Echo support is closed today... this is Wednesday morning and their hours list them as open.  Frankly I think it was an update and they KNOW it was bad. This thing will go back it was a nice thought, but it's a piece of crap.

MarkHawley

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 05:56:00 pm »
Christmas Day 2015  - My new Amazon Echo would not connect to my wifi.  I could connect the phone app to the Echo just fine, but the Echo would not connect to my wi-fi router although other devices would.  My wi-fi router has a password set.  After much searching on the internet and trying resetting, clearing app cache, browser cache, restting the Echo to factory settings using a paper clip on the bottom access hole, etc., I found one suggestion (above, from HockeyGuy In Texas) that allowed the Echo to immediately work. 
My router has both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz frequencies available.  BOTH were set with the SAME network name.  After changing the 2.4Ghz network name to be DIFFERENT (for example 5.0Ghz network name = "NETWORK" and 2.4Ghz network name = "NETWORK-2.4"), the Echo was able to connect to 2.4Ghz channel wi-fi without any problem!  The Echo gets confused when both network names are the same.  Dual-frequency routers are very common today, so you may not even be aware that yours is that way.  You need to connect to your router and use your administrative access to change the network names.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:05:47 pm by MarkHawley »