Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo wont connect to wifi

mindmagic

Re: Echo wont connect to wifi
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 04:34:01 pm »
When you set up the Echo, it asks you which network to connect it to. If your two bands have different names, try connecting to the same one that the device you're running the app on is connected to. If the two bands have the same name, try connecting to each in turn. If only one band is showing, you have more of a problem and will need some help.

mike27oct

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 02:31:59 am »
@sillysandy2

The asus rt-ac68w router you have is not one best suited for sell-proclaimed "senior non-techies", and it needs to be properly setup and installed by a "techie" type for best results, although the average person can set up the basics by following the install instructions.  I have an Asus router, and as I recall, the router came with two preset wi-fi names for the two signals named Asus_2.4G and Asus_5G.  During initial setup you are given the opportunity to rename these signals, and if you do so. you need to retain the 2.4G and 5G in the new file names to keep the two signals distinct; e.g. Smith_2.4G and Smith_5G.  This way, you select which signal you want to connect to for whatever purpose.  I am not going into that here, because this is not a router forum, but there are good reasons to select one signal over the other. 

Asus has a good user forum, and I recommend that one for you to check out.  In addition, Best Buy has a support service called the Geek Squad who can come to your home and help you set this up properly -- for a fee, of course.

vinceecho

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 09:45:50 am »
Bought an echo on a visit to New York and back in Monaco I can't get it to connect to wifi :(

On the app I get to the screen where I switch to Amazon-xxx wifi network, and the phone/tablet/PC (I have tried them all) connects with Echo immediately. But then I don't get the "continue" tab on the screen so the only choice I get is to cancel the setup.

Help!

Sadly, this is EXACTLY what I get with a Tab I bought recently in the U.S., no continue tab, or if using the phone app, it just spins and spins (or take cancel or 'don't see orange lights')....even though the device as said 'connected' when doing the initial phone to Tab connection, you never get the option to link it to your home wifi network. Seems to be more than a coincidence!

amyshapiro

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2016, 08:56:04 pm »
I tried and tried to connect my echo, tap and dot however in the echo app, when it was time to connect, I'd just get the white screen (page). Echo was not connecting to my wifi.  Nothing would happen.  I read in here and found where someone said to turn off the smart network switch to set up these devises because if it's on, your phone just tries to connect to your echo, not your echo to your wifi.

So on my galaxy s7, I went to settings, wifi, more (top right), advanced, then turned off the :Smart Network Switch:.  This 100% immediately solved my issue and I was able to connect all my amazon echo devices. 

So, I just wanted to put this out there, that solved my issue. I hope this helps anyone reading this in the future!

tboy2000

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2016, 01:35:58 pm »
am going crazy to get mine connected to the wifi.

For a start I have a dual band router but for some reason the 5 Ghz SSID does not show up in the list of wifi networks even though it is broadcasting. Only the 2 Ghz band SSID shows.

Anyway I can connect to the Amazon-xxx SSID. The I have to continue set up. I see a list of wifi networks. I see my 2 Ghz band. I enter the correct password and it keeps saying failed to connect. I know password is correct.

I have created a guest network in my router settings and used normal characters in the password. Still doesn't help. I can't believe a product can cause so much grief and frustration. I have spent far too many hours on this item. Please can anyone advise?

mike27oct

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2016, 01:53:06 pm »
First, relax, here's a tip from Amazon Help.  Unplug the Echo for FIVE minutes or more, then plug it back in and attempt setup again since the rest gives the Echo time to flush out any troublesome data stored in it.

Regarding dual band router:  Each band must have it's own identifying SSID (name of signal).  A common standard is a name like myrouter_2.4G and myrouter_5G.  Now, they can be differentiated.  Since the Echo is a low bandwidth requirement audio device, connect all Echo devices to this band, and save 5G for high bandwidth requirements like video streaming.

Robbyk1005

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2016, 08:03:44 pm »
I am having the same issue.  I have tried all of the fixes. Renaming networks. Checking pnup resting everything.   I have also had this exact issue with google voice too. This is on a net gear router as well.  So frustrated.  So much for "plug and play".

Help!!

mike27oct

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2016, 11:56:28 pm »
You say you DID unplug the device for FIVE minutes, and then plugged it in again, and you have a problem setting it up?  Then move all devices for setup closer to your router and try again.  The odds of both Echos being bad are too high to compute, so you must have something going on with your network.

agcrumpler

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2016, 05:54:26 pm »
I haven't been able to get the Amazon network to come up on my wi-fi list. Called Amazon they said to call At&T, called at&t and they didn't know  anything about Amazon Echo. I am soooo frustrated I wan't to through it out the window.

mike27oct

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2016, 06:41:27 pm »
You are only supposed to see the amazon-xxx for a moment during setup.  I will be gone once you connect an Echo/Dot etc to your home network.  Have you done this yet?

jpts.tavares

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2016, 05:29:36 pm »
hi. I have Echo for more than a year. It's my favorite gadget over the house, and it is my command center for all Bulbs and IR electronics (using GE, Hue and Harmony)

Recently I've changed my ISP, which now have installed an Arris TG1692 Dual Band Router.
Since this change, Echo basically has it's WI-FI settings dead. By this I mean that when you select to "Scan WiFi networks" it comes back with a "Could not Scan any Wi-Fi networks" error message.
After struggling with Echo, I've unplugged my router from the power and like magic: Echo could read again all of the neighbors networks, and could connect normally when I paired it with my iPhone anchoring.
When I turn on my router again, Echo's wifi dies again, and it cannot find any networks one more time.

Which configuration in the router could be making so harm to the Echo that it nulls its Wifi scanning?

for note:
I've already tried separating SSIDs from 2.4 and 5Ghz
I've switched channels to 1 (2.4) and 36 (5.0)
I've called Amazon CS, but they've forwarded my request do the technical team and had no answer until now
I've desperately walked through Amazon teardown and found the Wi-Fi component Qualcomm QCA6234 Integrated Dual-Band 2x2 802.11n + Bluetooth® 4.0 Specification Guide, but no info there was useful (this point was just for shame)

Hope someone can have a enlightenment
Best
JP

mike27oct

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2016, 11:22:45 pm »
Firstly, I cannot get any google hits on your router, and looking for it at Arris site was unsuccessful.  Are you sure you have the model correct?

To be clear, is this a router only, or a router/modem combo?  Do you own you own modem?  Who is your ISP?  My first suggestion is get the cable guy over there to totally check out your system and see that they configured their gear correctly.

Secondly, the best thing one can do is to OWN their router and modem; I do.  None of these hassles of changing ISPs, etc.  No need to lease them (unless you also have the phone plan, too, and there are ways around that, I just never fooled with it; still have the trusty landline.)

I got the new cable box recently called Xfinity X1.  Great box, but I had to go through three of them to get the right model, even the right power supply from Comcast!  Third try I spoke with someone there who knew what he was doing and he gave us the right stuff and told me it was their latest and best box from Arris.  Basically, many cable company workers are inept for the most part.  I actually wish I did not have to rent the box from them!

Anyway, get them to help you out.  Your internet should not be hosed like you say it is.

cfgunny

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2017, 01:25:23 am »
 ;D  I couldn't get my new Echo to connect and Amazon's support staff got it working. The issue was actually with my Verizon router. The Echo uses some specific ports to connect to the router and when mine was installed, the installer enabled the router firewall and set it to maximum security for both frequencies. This, of course, blocks all traffic on all but the basic ports needed for internet traffic. The Echo ports were being blocked. The firewall was reset to "Typical Security" and the echo connected right away.

The story:

I got an Echo for Christmas and, just like seemingly millions of others, it wouldn't connect to my WiFi. I spent a week tryig everything I could find via Google: unplugged the Echo for three seconds, reset the Echo, uninstalled and reinstalled the Alexa app, rebooted my router and reset the Echo, attempted to connect to both 2.4 and 5 GHZ networks, created a guest network and tried to connect to that, ensured the 2,4 and 5 GHZ networks have different SSIDs, and tried different channels on both by using a WiFi analyzer app. to determine the best signal strength. I finally called the Echo support number (1-877-375-9365. Great support, by the way). The tier 1 tech spent a few minutes going through the checklist of things I had already tried and didn't even force me to go through the whole thing again, but only the basics. He then transferred me to the next level, a cheerful young lady who spent over two hours on the phone with me, exhausting all possibilities. She determined that the problem was with the router settings and tried to help me find them. Between my ignorance and the difference in terminology that different routers use, she suggested she call Verizon for help. While I was on hold, she got in touch with Verizon support and created a conference call between the three of us. She had the Verizon rep. check a few settings and asked her to check some UDP ports. After the Verizon tier 1 tech ran out of knowledge, she patched us to network support. The gentleman that answered was very helpful and obviously experienced. The Amazon and Verizon reps worked together and quickly reached an understanding. The Verizon IT rep remoted into my computer. The Amazon rep. gave him the MAC address of my Echo and the Verizon rep. discovered that the Echo was actually connected to the router. The Amazon rep. gave him the list of UDP ports the Echo requires to be open and he added them via port forwarding. The Amazon rep. then asked him if the firewall was active. When the Verizon rep. looked at the firewall page, he noticed the firewall was not only active, but was set to "Maximum Security" and explained to me that it was blocking all outgoing and incoming traffic, other than the ports needed for basic internet functions. The Amazon rep, asked him to disable the firewall, which he did and asked me to go through the Echo setup with the Alexa app. again. This time, the Echo connected without issue. As a test, she told me to ask Alexa the time. Eureka! It answered with the correct time.

Sorry for the extremely long post, but I hope that this may help others. Sometimes the answer can be found, not in the direct cause of my problem, but in the details of the issue and the steps taken to correct it.

mike27oct

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2017, 05:38:05 am »
Whew, glad your Echo is finally up and running.

And, this is another reason why I, and many others, do not rent our routers and modems from our ISPs.  We buy and setup our own.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2017, 03:37:44 pm »
@cfgunny

Thank you for your detailed solution to a frustrating problem that many have had here.  Your post will be very useful to users w/the same problem.