Echo & Alexa Forums

Fire TV Cube goes mute

Fire TV Cube goes mute
« on: October 27, 2022, 10:53:36 am »
I have a new Fire TV Cube 4th gen. It is attached to a Samsung TV with no external speakers.

When I try to use the Cube as an Alexa Echo device with TV off I have the following problem:

If I as her anything that she can respond to in her own Alexa voice it works fine. (time, weather, etc.) If I ask her to play something like music, a radio station, news, the Alexa voice says she is going to play it and then it goes mute and I hear nothing at all. After that point if I ask her something she can answer in her own voice I also hear nothing. The light on the cube indicates that she is responding but there is no sound.

The only time everything works normally is when the TV is on and everything comes through the TV speakers.

The speaker setting in the Alexa app is "built-in speaker"

At first, after spending 45 minutes on the phone with Amazon tech support and getting nowhere, I thought it was a faulty device and got a replacement.  But the replacement does the exact same thing so it's clearly a software issue.  Possibly a setting that I'm not aware of.   I was assured by Amazon that I should be able to use the cube as an Echo with the TV off.

HELP!!