Echo & Alexa Forums

Re-registering a Dot

Offline GWV

Re-registering a Dot
« on: October 23, 2022, 07:27:16 pm »
"re-register" a dot

I set up a Dot for a friend using his Wi-Fi and my cell phone - - my friend does not have a cell phone. Everything went well. When I returned to my house 900 miles away, my friend reported that he could here activity on my Eufy doorbell on his Dot. I believed that if I "de-registered" his Dot on my phone that would alleviate the problem. Instead, his Dot is now off line. How can he "re-register" it again without a cell phone ??

Re: Re-registering a Dot
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 08:52:44 pm »
not sure about this since I do not have windows os on my computers but you can download and install the alexa app on a win10 and 11 pc.  Might be able to re-register the dot that way.   Also, does the friend have a tablet?   If so, you can install the app and use it to register. 

Offline jwlv

Re: Re-registering a Dot
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 11:14:37 am »
You don't necessarily need a cell phone to register any Echo device. But having a cell phone makes the setup easier. What you do absolutely need is an Amazon account.

It sounds like what happened to you is that you registered your friend's Echo Dot on your own Amazon account. Anything that's registered on your Amazon account can be accessed by other devices on your account. That would explain why your friend's Echo Dot can hear activity on your Eufy doorbell.

Your friend needs to setup his Echo Dot with his own Amazon account.