Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa playing unsolicited music

Alexa playing unsolicited music
« on: October 08, 2022, 11:29:47 pm »
I am running a Fire Cube 2nd Gen with Two Echo Dot 3rd Gen integrated into a hubless smart home system for lighting. The Echo Dots are configured in stereo format and used for my home theater sound with the Cube as well as for music playback using Tidal, Spotify and Amazon Music Unlimited. In order to prevent Alexa from responding on all or some of my devices every time the word “Alexa” is muttered, I have given each device its own wake word.
For the most part, the system, including the smart lightbulbs work exceptionally well but there is an extremely annoying issue that I hope can be resolved.
Here’s the problem: Alexa is constantly playing playing music without being asked to play. Furthermore, Alexa always plays music from a genre that I do not like and have no listening history for on any streaming service.
Is there a way to configure Alexa to ONLY play music when it is specifically asked for?  I hope so because this is drivin me crazy.

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa playing unsolicited music
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 02:11:10 am »
One of these things is probably happening:

1. One of your Echo devices is connected via Bluetooth to someone near by.
2. There's a routine that's playing music without you asking.
3. Somebody is messing with you, kind of like someone with a TV remote outside your window changing channels. See this video for info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21HjF4A3WE4  -- Apparently it works on Siri, Alexa, and Google.

Re: Alexa playing unsolicited music
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 08:51:18 am »
check the voice history to see what it heard before the music started.