Echo & Alexa Forums

Updated list of echos (in my signature)

Updated list of echos (in my signature)
« on: September 26, 2022, 12:21:15 pm »
After the last thread about new product coming out a couple of days ago, I realized I needed to update my Echo and associated smart stuff list in my signature. Much has changed. This new list doesn't include all the apple things I have, such as 2 Apple TV, 2 Home Pod (Full size), and multiple iPads and phones being used as iPods... To run all this stuff off my internet connection I bought the latest greatest Eero 6 Pro 3 pack last year... I run upload speeds in excess of 900mbps, WIFI. I also upgraded to gigabit service about the same time. I'm pretty connected now.

What's your list look like?
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline jwlv

Re: Updated list of echos (in my signature)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 04:32:11 pm »
In the past few years, I've replaced several things.
One item of note are all my Wemo plugs, except two. They've become more and more unreliable and many times the app loses certain plugs. I've replaced nearly all of them with Feit plugs (great price from Costco) and added almost two dozen Feit Smart color light bulbs. I've gotten rid of all Fire Tablets. I just hated how Amazon-centric the Fire Tablets are. It's like an on-going push from Amazon to pawn off more stuff to you. I even paid to take off the special offers. But still, the Fire UI interface just reeks of "buy me! buy me!"
I've gotten rid of 4 Fire TV sticks and 1 Fire Recast. They all reek of the same Amazon UI. They were replaced by 4 Rokus, 1  Chromecast, and 1 Tivo Roamio and several Tivo Minis. I like the Roku because it is pretty much company-agnostic. They don't really try to push any particular thing to you since they only make Roku and not content or anything else. Tivo was good up until a year ago. Now they're trying to push their own Tivo Plus content. Bad move on their part. Just read all the negative things people are saying about Tivo now compared to a few years ago.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 05:23:42 pm »
got rid of my wemo plugs years ago because got tired of having to power cycling them after power outages or updates.   Actually I got tired of crawling under tables and moving furniture to get to them.   Though I have a couple of firesticks, amazon smart oven, a couple of buds and frames, I am staying away from other amazon smart devices like their thermostat, smartplugs and more so if I get  tired of their ads, it won't be too expensive to leave the amazon ecosystem.   I was reading an article a month or so ago about amazon's plans for adding more ads to their devices.  Not talking about the recent article about answering questions with ads. 

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 06:30:17 pm »
got rid of my wemo plugs years ago because got tired of having to power cycling them after power outages or updates.   Actually I got tired of crawling under tables and moving furniture to get to them.   Though I have a couple of firesticks, amazon smart oven, a couple of buds and frames, I am staying away from other amazon smart devices like their thermostat, smartplugs and more so if I get  tired of their ads, it won't be too expensive to leave the amazon ecosystem.   I was reading an article a month or so ago about amazon's plans for adding more ads to their devices.  Not talking about the recent article about answering questions with ads.

I agree with the Amazon ecosystem issues of ad pushing garbage content... however. A 10 inch Tablet for 150 bucks with ad removal is usually still a good deal for something to keep in the house for visitors to peruse and abuse... They can access their own info without any issues, such as email and cloud content if needed, and I also have a bluetooth keyboard that works nicely with them. It's logitech so the value is usually pretty good there as well. The keyboard can connect ot 3 different devices via a small knob to change device... pretty cool for my application. I have a handful of Grandkids, and it helps with them to slow down after the day and get ready to turn in at night. Other than that my Step Daughter is a busy internet based woman with a ton of needs that she loves coming and using these options so she doesn't need to tote a laptop every time she visits.
I only have the one Amazon outlet/plug... a very specific situation where I couldn't find another option at all. It powers a set of 8 single tube fluorescent (with LED replacement) fixtures. Does the job without having to spend a fortune buying new fixtures and bulbs.

I tried the Chromecast, the Firestick, and before all of that I tried a Boxee Box, before they cratered. I ended up eventually streaming Netflix through the Nintendo Wii.  That Boxee Box was a cool device before it's time for sure. Just needed refinement and acceptance... too early for the game. I've had the Apple TV's for so long now I don't know if I'd like any other options. And truly, my wife and I barely even watch anything on the screen anymore. We don't spend much time watching anything on any device, really. We work hard and enjoy our quiet time, since the in-laws take up all our spare time right now.
I figured I needed an update though on devices I am using from Amazon... I have given away almost as many as I currently own as well. I kinda wish they had built a larger version of the SPOT... I like it, as it sets up using Tablet software, instead of the normal Echo Stuff. Super simple and it displays things you ask for. Of course it still throws ads up and things you didn't ask for all the time... but I ignore that stuff, mostly use it for a front door monitor with the ring doorbell.

All in all I'm likely to get rid of most of the Echos that the In-Laws don't use,, and the rest of the house will become apple centric. As soon as Apple comes up with a device with a clock in it.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 08:37:41 am »
This reminds me of a thread I started many years back on the X10 forum.
There I requested users to post there home automation devices and update their list as it evolved
Lists in a signature can get longer then a post. And why have that in every thing you post? 
I use to try to keep up with the latest greatest but since retiring the cash just isn't there.
Over the years I've tried and shelved different devices of different protocols.( cash permitted) I never jumped fully onto one protocol as many I found never lasted long. For this reason I have few Amazon  devices.
3 dot second gen
1 flex
2 fire sticks
 As for modules that Alexa controls I use mostly x10.  That protocol has stood the test of time for me.
A few years back I decided to try my hand with mini PCs which introduced me to the Raspberry Pi.
 I ran all my home automation  from this.  I've started to move some timers and scenes to Alexa.
 As for annoying pop up ads on Amazon devices. I realize this is how bills are paid.
 What I find offensive and misleading is when ads are inserted into posts on this forum.
 This practice makes the user appear as a spammer which is not the case.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 03:22:28 pm »
my current list of smart devices.  I don't think I missed any  :-)   

Ring security
two fire sticks
show 5 1st gen
show 8 2nd gen
show 10 3rd gen
original echo
polk soundbar
roomba
amazon smart oven
instant pot
air fryer
2 google nest