Echo & Alexa Forums

how to change which echo device is connected to a light

how to change which echo device is connected to a light
« on: August 01, 2022, 09:20:28 am »
How can I change which echo device is connected to a light?  When I look at the device settings for one of my lights, it's connected to my echo dot in my study, two rooms over, from the room the light is in, which has an Echo studio. Or, does it matter that the light is 'connected' to an echo dot that isn't the nearest echo device?

Re: how to change which echo device is connected to a light
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 02:53:24 pm »
not sure what you are asking but all your echo devices should be able to access the light.   It makes no difference as to which one.  Otherwise, it defeats the purpose of being able to turn the lights on/off no matter where you are in the home.    or are you talking about smart groups?

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 04:13:35 pm »
not sure what you are asking but all your echo devices should be able to access the light.   It makes no difference as to which one.  Otherwise, it defeats the purpose of being able to turn the lights on/off no matter where you are in the home.    or are you talking about smart groups?
No smart groups.  Just noticed that a couple of my devices were "connected" to an echo dot that is the furthest away instead of the Echo Studio in the same room.  I assumed this meant that the commands would be coming from the one it's connected to and thought I should try to change the connection to the echo closest to the lights.  I'm not understanding why those devices show being connected to the dot furthest away anyway.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 06:38:53 pm »
if not smart group, it is just that for whatever reason, the other device actually heard you and responded.   Sometimes when I am standing next to one in the dining area, a bedroom one will respond.   It just happens.   

Though I am not a sound expert, I believe it has to do with sound waves and the way it moves throughout the house because of other noise, ceiling fans, where you are facing when giving the command and more.  It also has to do with the device itself as to how fast it picked up the sound with the microphone.  Older devices reacts slower than newer devices.    When multiple devices hear, ESP  kicks in and the first one who receives the command responds.  ESP is an echo feature where only one device will respond no matter how many heard. 

The only solution is to move the device away line of site to the door in the back rooms, put further from the door on the same wall as the door.  Also lower your voice a bit when giving commands. 

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 12:51:10 pm »
none of my echos are connected to a specific light. It could also be that I am all Philips Hue lights... and a bridge by Philips Hue, that all my lights are controlled by... so they are all connected to the bridge, and all of my echo devices and tablets and other devices are connected to the bridge for controlling.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 02:55:23 pm »
none of my echos are connected to a specific light. It could also be that I am all Philips Hue lights... and a bridge by Philips Hue, that all my lights are controlled by... so they are all connected to the bridge, and all of my echo devices and tablets and other devices are connected to the bridge for controlling.

it can be with smart groups so when you  walk into a bedroom or whatever all you have to command alexa to turn on lights without using the actual bulb name.   The bulb is associated with the echo within that room. 

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 07:47:14 pm »
I understand that... but have none done that way. All bulbs have a name and all rooms are named. Only the den and living room have a bunch of bulbs in them, the rest are single bulb rooms... So really I do have some bulbs set up that way, just through Hue bridge instead of direct with echo... kinda... LOL

I've been on the echo and Hue thing for about 6-7 years now... There's been a lot of changes in that time frame... I've tried a lot of things that are normal, and keep going back to my original stuff when possible. It's just too difficult to teach the rest of the people in the house how to do things.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 09:27:14 pm »
I understand that... but have none done that way. All bulbs have a name and all rooms are named. Only the den and living room have a bunch of bulbs in them, the rest are single bulb rooms... So really I do have some bulbs set up that way, just through Hue bridge instead of direct with echo... kinda... LOL

I've been on the echo and Hue thing for about 6-7 years now... There's been a lot of changes in that time frame... I've tried a lot of things that are normal, and keep going back to my original stuff when possible. It's just too difficult to teach the rest of the people in the house how to do things.

you ever consider using Lutron Aurora smart bulb dimmer button?    You link them to the hue bulb  and screw onto the light switch.   No wiring involve.    For those who have trouble remember, they can use the button to turn on the lights without messing with the voice setting.   I got a couple of them and they work great.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 09:27:27 am »
you ever consider using Lutron Aurora smart bulb dimmer button?    You link them to the hue bulb  and screw onto the light switch.   No wiring involve.    For those who have trouble remember, they can use the button to turn on the lights without messing with the voice setting.   I got a couple of them and they work great.

Haven't tried them yet... I've been busy on a few other money heavy projects (Paid off my house a month ago, etc...) and haven't had the time to do anything lately because of the heavy work load I've been taking on. I have considered the Lutron stuff though... Maybe soon I will have a little easement in my cash flow since we paid off the house and maybe one of the cars will be paid for soon as well. I will keep you apprised of such changes and how I like it though.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro