Echo & Alexa Forums

any other options besides the remote control?

itsjustmeee

any other options besides the remote control?
« on: June 08, 2016, 11:23:52 am »
I'm curious if there's any option for accessing Alexa from a room that's too far away from my Echo without having to pick up a remote and push the button. I think it would be nice to just be able to have some sort of "extension mic" to expand the hearing range and issuing a command without looking for a remote.

mike27oct

Re: any other options besides the remote control?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 11:56:10 am »
The remote IS some sort of extension mic, but no, there are not mics you can place around the house, otherwise, other than more remotes.  Although, depending upon what you want the Echo to do, there are apps you can use to talk to Alexa.  Search for the keyword Roger in these forums (when on main page) to learn about a new free app called Roger that enables you to talk to Alexa.

itsjustmeee

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 12:34:51 pm »
I'm actually surprised that no one has come up with something like that ... a small bluetooth mic that would extend the range of Echo for places where you'd like to say a command but don't want to have to look for a remote. It would be perfect for a nightstand and turning lights on and off, etc.

Yoda_One

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 03:52:11 pm »
If you want to control your smart devices, hear the weather, time, news, joke, add to your shopping list etc.,  and you have a FireTV/Stick you have that ability to use this device as a supplement. I find myself using my FireTV often for convenience since I have a unit in every bedroom. It would be just a matter of time that all Alexa functions will be added to the FireTV especially the calendar which would be useful and a great marketing tool. I do have Echo and a Dot also in the house conveniently located.
Gee I sound like an Amazon fan boy.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:17:17 pm by Yoda_One »

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 05:42:09 pm »
closest device that would do what you want would be the amazon dot.  Just about anything else would require a remote or the pressing of buttons.