Echo & Alexa Forums

Triggering Routines with Zigbee Motion Sensors

Baffled

Triggering Routines with Zigbee Motion Sensors
« on: July 15, 2022, 03:14:03 pm »
I have bought some tuya zigbee "Human Motion Sensors" and successfully paired them directly to my Echo 4th Gen. I can see the motion sensors in my devices and they seem to be recognising movement but I can't successfully get any routines to trigger.

I have tried a basic routine - if motion is detected then Alexa says "hello" - but noting is working.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need a separate hub?

Help, I need to justify my spending to my wife!

Offline jwlv

Re: Triggering Routines with Zigbee Motion Sensors
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 06:43:49 pm »
Not all devices can be used as triggers for Alexa routines. In fact, very few devices can trigger routines. I've personally tried many different devices and the only ones that truly work to trigger routines are Ring Alarm motion sensors and Echo buttons (but Amazon discontinued them). Note that both of these items are made by Amazon.

The only third party product that I know of that can trigger a routine is the Flic button. It's really expensive.
Here is the manufacturer's website https://www.the-ambient.com/news/flic-button-alexa-routines-trigger-2551

Re: Triggering Routines with Zigbee Motion Sensors
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 04:57:41 pm »
I have two hubs on my network, a Philips Hue and a SmartThings.  I gave up trying to get any Alexa hubs to co-exist with them and have removed all Alexa devices with internal hubs from the network.  Everything just seems to operate more smoothly.

I use both Philips and Samsung (SmartThings) motion sensors, in a variety of situations, to trigger Alexa routines all the time.