Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo and Bluetooth speaker multi-room system?

Offline RCF

Echo and Bluetooth speaker multi-room system?
« on: May 15, 2022, 03:41:53 pm »
Can Bluetooth speakers be combined with Echos to create a mutli-room speaker system? If so, what is the procedure? I have only seen procedures for Echo only multi-room systems. Thanks.

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo and Bluetooth speaker multi-room system?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 03:46:04 am »
Nope. Amazon won't let you do multi-room via Bluetooth. I can understand why. There is latency involved when it comes to Bluetooth devices. And every Bluetooth device has a slightly different latency, some very low and some very high. If Amazon allowed you to do this, it would sound like your music is echoing all around the house.

Offline RCF

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 09:19:23 am »
Nope. Amazon won't let you do multi-room via Bluetooth. I can understand why. There is latency involved when it comes to Bluetooth devices. And every Bluetooth device has a slightly different latency, some very low and some very high. If Amazon allowed you to do this, it would sound like your music is echoing all around the house.

Thanks. You would think after four generations they would have either partnered with a compatible third party manufacturer or come out with their own compatible bluetooth speakers. I would love to be able to set up a group of weatherproof bluetooth speakers by the pool in combination with the house echos for seamless music. It would be great for parties. Perhaps someday.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 05:19:44 pm »
The alternative is to use multiple Echo devices. For the best sound, you can get the Echo Studio, which according to Amazon is their "best-sounding smart speaker ever - With Dolby Atmos and Alexa." It's around $200.

Amazon Echo devices use WiFi to communicate between devices. They have more control over latency as well as a small buffer that can pick up the slack in case of poor signal. Bluetooth has no buffer; It just plays what you send it, and if it doesn't go through, too bad.

If you want to go a cheaper route, you can get Echo Dots and place them all around the house. Echo Dots can be had for around $30 or less when they have a sale (Black Friday, Prime Day, etc.) Of all the different Echo Dots, I think the Echo Dot v3 & v4 sound the best, but v4 costs more. Dot v1 & v2 sound pretty terrible, like a tin can.

If the reason why you want to use Bluetooth is because you want fully wireless with battery, there are some 3rd party manufacturers that make a battery base for the Echo Dot. They have battery bases for all versions of Echo Dots from various manufacturers and sellers. I got one last week from a local auction for $2. But Amazon sells them for around $30 or so. Attached is a photo of it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 05:33:45 pm by jwlv »