Echo & Alexa Forums

Hey Cortana

jonjanisch

Hey Cortana
« on: June 12, 2015, 02:20:41 pm »
Has anyone played with Windows 10 yet? I have it installed on a VM. It has Cortana built into the OS and it can be activated with the wake phrase "Hey, Cortana" similar to Echo.

I don't really know what other devices have wake words. My LG G3 used to work via "OK Google" but the screen had to be on AND on the home screen. The upgrade to lollipop also strangely removed that feature.

What are your thoughts? Echo has the advantage of being always on with a superior array of microphones and for me that's the main differentiator. But for the general public, Echo may be a hard sell.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:22:13 pm by jonjanisch »

Offline jwlv

Re: Hey Cortana
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 03:54:14 pm »
I have not tried the Windows 10 beta, but I am signed up to receive the Windows 10 upgrade at the end of July.
It seems that Microsoft always flops every other Windows release.
Windows 3.1 was good for its time. Windows 95 was sluggish and crashed all the time. Windows XP was great improvement. Windows Vista was a nightmare. Windows 7 was wonderful. Windows 8 was a dumb idea from the start. And Windows 10 is looking to be pretty good from what I've seen so far.
With Microsoft giving away free upgrades to Windows 10, that makes the deal even sweeter.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 07:11:13 am »
I downloaded the preview of 10 on my desktop. So far, so good. *senses impending crash*

For me, there was a big adjustment going from 7 to 8.1. Lots of differences. I see 10 as what I would have improved.

Did anyone download the Office 2016 preview? I did and that looks good too.

oldmangamer

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 04:55:15 pm »
Downloaded the 2016 Office Preview using Windows 10 Technical Preview. I use Excel and Access extensively; haven't found a problem yet.