Echo & Alexa Forums

NNED ASSISTANCE - ECHO IN DELAWARE AFFECTING DEVICES IN NY

Dmallo

NNED ASSISTANCE - ECHO IN DELAWARE AFFECTING DEVICES IN NY
« on: March 11, 2022, 01:34:44 pm »
I recently discovered that my Echo Dot in Delaware is affecting devices in my New York home.  Both devices have the same Wake name - "Alexa," and when in Delaware I say "Alexa, turn on the TV," the NY TV goes on over 250 miles away on a different network.

To remedy, do I change the device name? I was unaware that the device could do this this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Don M.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 04:44:22 pm by Dmallo »

Re: NNED ASSISTANCE - ECHO IN DELAWARE AFFECTING DEVICES IN NY
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 05:26:30 pm »
I have two different locations 120 miles apart, both with Dots. I originally had both locations using the same account but found my self also triggering things in the opposite location. The workarround I used was to create another amazon account and had a separate account for each location.

Offline jwlv

Re: NNED ASSISTANCE - ECHO IN DELAWARE AFFECTING DEVICES IN NY
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 11:39:19 pm »
The network that your devices are connected to are irrelevant. What matters is what account each device is attached to.

If you have a smart switch that controls your TV in New York and another smart switch that controls a different TV in Delaware, both will activate when you tell Alexa to "turn on the TV."

It is best to set up your Echo devices with different accounts when they are in different locations unless you have a reason to want the ability to control something that is not at your location. Some people might do this because they want to control certain things at a summer home or cabin from their primary home.