Echo & Alexa Forums

Two Homes Automated

espressox2

Two Homes Automated
« on: June 01, 2016, 03:22:14 pm »
OK so here is the question.  I have a home with a wink hub and lights being controlled with an amazon echo.  I also have an apartment for weekdays that I am moving into soon.  I plan to use my echo dot in that second location to run a second wink hub and lights there.  The network will be different.  If I am correct the dot will only control my lights in the apartment because it is on a separate network.  Correct?  Same Amazon account so I can still access my music and other Amazon items but the other wink hub in my primary home will appear offline to the dot.  Am I correct?  Confused?

Any help would be awesome!  Thanks

DParker

Re: Two Homes Automated
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 04:14:25 pm »
OK so here is the question.  I have a home with a wink hub and lights being controlled with an amazon echo.  I also have an apartment for weekdays that I am moving into soon.  I plan to use my echo dot in that second location to run a second wink hub and lights there.  The network will be different.  If I am correct the dot will only control my lights in the apartment because it is on a separate network.  Correct?  Same Amazon account so I can still access my music and other Amazon items but the other wink hub in my primary home will appear offline to the dot.  Am I correct?  Confused?

Any help would be awesome!  Thanks

The Echo's smart home integration is tied to your Amazon account, not your network.  So all Echos/Dots/Taps on that account will have access to the same set of devices.  In other words, you should be able to use the Echo in your apartment to turn on/off your house lights, and control your apartment lights via the Echo in your house.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 07:57:12 pm by DParker »

mike27oct

Re: Two Homes Automated
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:36:52 pm »
Once you have more than one Echo device, you need to begin noticing which device is being controlled by the App.  Foe example, some notable sections of the app are Settings, Now Playing, and Music and Books.  Once in either section, you will see a sub menu for (in your case, an Echo label, and in the dropdown menu, your Dot.)  So, if you want to play music on your Dot, but the Echo label is shown, you must switch to the Dot, and THEN make you music selection, otherwise, the music will play on the Echo.  The "gotcha" to avoid caused by having more than one Echo.  I have at least 5 devices now to pay attention to!

This could also be the case if you want the Dot to control lights in the apt, and not the house lights controlled by the Echo.  Someone with light controllers can verify this if necessary.