Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa just stopped finding any BBC Radio stations

jonbrave

Alexa just stopped finding any BBC Radio stations
« on: January 28, 2022, 02:59:21 am »
Just got my first Alexa (Echo Show) a couple of weeks ago. Only use it for listening to BBC Radio 4. Previously installed BBC radio skill and successfully authorised device. All working fine.

As of yesterday evening Alexa cannot play/find *any* BBC radio station. All other radio stations play fine. Saying "Alexa, play [BBC] radio 4/3/2/1" or just "Radio 4" is either greeted by playing some obscure radio station or "cannot find that radio station". Unplugged/rebooted Echo, no difference.

I have done my usual Googling research, and cannot find anything, and certainly not since yesterday.

What has changed since yesterday morning, when it all worked fine?? What do I do?

Re: Alexa just stopped finding any BBC Radio stations
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 10:41:09 am »
As witht the rest of the "not ready for prime time" things that our echo devices have for features... this one is likely to return to working as set up, after a few days.

Just quit asking for a few days and try again. I've had things go as long as a month not working, then one day start working again... No changes made. From lights, to routines, to listening to streams... it will eventually happen to everyone I believe.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

jonbrave

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 10:49:20 am »
Well thank you for your reply.  Your response, while doubtless correct, does not fill me with confidence for using my new Alexa device!  Waiting for up to a month to get a bedside clock-radio play any BBC radio station is not what I was expecting...

Anyway, since this morning other people have reported same on another Alexa forum site, and miraculously it has cleared itself and reverted to good behaviour, I had no idea whether it would or not.  So good news.  Except that I still wonder whether I would have better with a steam-powered wireless which at least always woks....

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 07:49:05 pm »
What you need to know about the whole "alexa" experience, is that were are their beta testers in this AI offering. In order for them to give us the cool toys at the very low prices, we have to be the ones who help them develop them... A trade off of sorts. It'd be completely cool if they would fess up and let everyone that buys them, know they are still in development and your results may vary based on your use/usage, and updates changing and deleting and enhancing already working skills and options.

Glad your problem has self-solved for now. I just thought it was best to cut to the chase and fill you in since you seem to be a new-ish Alexa User.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

AlanH

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 09:39:58 am »
“Alexa, open BBC Sounds” is always a good start to check that the skill is working as expected.