Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa to phone - did they impose restrictions ??

bryan0607

Alexa to phone - did they impose restrictions ??
« on: January 18, 2022, 06:14:24 pm »
My alexa to phone was working great until recently.  I could call contacts via alexa phone using my echo.

Now when I go to make a call to someone on my contact list, there is an error saying I have reached my limit of 20.

This is using my desktop Amazon echo  which still connects to other amazon devices, but just can't make phone calls

Is there another way forward.. or do I cross alexa off my voip capability list and look to another provider ??

thanks in advance for your help....

Re: Alexa to phone - did they impose restrictions ??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 06:51:28 pm »
there was changes.   you can now only call 10 from your contact list and only if they have an echo device.   However, you can link your att, verizon, and skype account to alexa and make unlimited calls again.

https://www.amazon.com/alexa-drop-in-calling-intercom/b?node=21393410011

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 08:00:13 am »
Wow that sucks. I wonder if it affects Echo Auto. Sometimes when I'm driving I might ask Alexa to call a Walgreens,  Dominos, Costco or something. I don't keep these places in my contact list. Maybe soon they're going to make it a premium service and call it Alexa Plus. Remember Alexa had Guard that was free? Now the free version is very limited and you have to pay to get Alexa Guard Plus.

With the increasing number of non-removable junk on Echo Show home screens and Alexa features being limited or taken away, it'll just be  a matter of time before users jump ship and swim to the shores of Google. I already dumped both of my Fire HD tablets and 4 of my Fire TV Sticks and 1 Fire TV Recast and went with iPad, Roku, and Tivo instead. Amazon pushes their wares way too much on their devices.

I've said this years ago, and I'll say it again. Amazon is much too big for its own good. They really should be broken up into separate entities. One for online retail sales, one for supermarkets/groceries, one for Alexa/Echo devices, one for movies/music/audio books, etc. When you think about it, each of these separate entities have nothing to do with the other. And that's why it is a good way to split it up.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 12:06:32 pm »
I am so frustrated and angry with Amazon over these changes for a number of reasons. I've had a terrible experience with these changes and it's really impacted my life in a terrible way considering especially that I am disabled and and dependent upon being able to call with my echo devices for health and safety reasons and it was working so well for 4 years.

You can read more about the specific details of the new limitations Amazon has placed on "Alexa-to-Phone" calling and my downright terrible ongoing customer service nightmare with Amazon with regard to these new garbage new limitations here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/alexa/comments/qekp27/new_upsetting_limitations_frustrating_changes/

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 08:03:50 am »
You're absolutely right. I don't use Alexa calling at home, but I do have an Echo Auto in each of my cars. It used to be I could make a call via Alexa just by asking. For example, if I'm out running errands, I might call the pharmacy to see if they have my prescriptions ready. Or if I'm on the way home and wanted to order something at a nearby restaurant so that it'll be ready for pick-up when I get there. I might order from any of a dozen restaurants. Well, can't fit them all in my 10 contact list. I don't always eat at the same place nor I always call the same restaurant. Can't do that now. I guess I'd be better off using Siri or Google from now on.