Echo & Alexa Forums

New Fire Tablet 10HD has built-in Echo Show Mode

asnider123

New Fire Tablet 10HD has built-in Echo Show Mode
« on: December 15, 2021, 09:44:38 am »
This is probably not news to many, but it is to me! The Amazon Fire 10HD Tablet (at least the 2021 version) has built into it the Echo Show Mode. It's as simple as pulling down from top of the home screen and turn on 'Show Mode'. I can also turn Echo Show Mode on and off with Alexa commands (Turn on show mode, turn off show mode, etc)

I am just beginning to learn what this does, but it really shows promise and eliminates me having to buy another Echo Dot, this has even more promise

Re: New Fire Tablet 10HD has built-in Echo Show Mode
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 07:28:18 pm »
Yes... I have had several 10" fire tablets and they have all had the SHow function for a few years now. Even the ones that didn't used to were updated on all the ones I have. I have been paring down the herd for about 2 weeks now and I am currently down to (3) 10" Fire Tablets and 9 Echo products. Slowly I will be changing over to a differnt AI since Amazon is so insistent on marketing through their products so much they're becoming annoying. I did JUST this week receive a 15" echo show though, and I'm liking it so far. It will eventually become a marketing blaster as well, I assume. Really don't like all the shopping suggestions at all. But so far the New one hasn't done any of that. Having a control panel for my In laws (who are in their mid 80's) is actually helpful.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 07:05:05 am »
Since you have some experience with the Fire HD in SHOW mode, I have an interesting question.  I have a Fire HD8 that I use exclusively in SHOW mode.  I live in Columbus, Ohio in a neighborhood named "Clintonville".  Clintonville is not a village within Columbus, but I believe that they have a Constable that is separate from the Columbus Police, but there is no counsel or mayor or manager for the neighborhood.  When I ask my Fire HD8 for the weather, it provides me with the weather for Clintonville, Wisconsin.  I have checked, and the location assigned to my Alexa account and the HD8 are all correct, but the weather is still displaying Wisconsin.  In order to get my weather, I have to ask for weather in Columbus, Ohio.  Is this just a sweet mystery of life or have I Smurfed up something.....

Thanks,
Kevin

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 08:22:22 am »
It has nothing to do with the device being an echo SHOW or HD tablet... it has everything to do with their database at the source. You already have the workaround figured out, so no big deal. I don't think I would try and get the weather by my neighborhood "subdivision" name, as I live in "Camelot". What kind of weather would I get ? LOL
Some things on these devices are odd in the fact that they find ways to perplex us.For the life of me, I don't believe the way some of the things are used. In this case... I find it odd they don't map you by Map and just give the weather by the nearest Major city or suburb. I guess getting it down to neighborhood level is asking too much for now. It may improve over the years, but like I said above, you have a good workaround for now...

Since you have some experience with the Fire HD in SHOW mode, I have an interesting question.  I have a Fire HD8 that I use exclusively in SHOW mode.  I live in Columbus, Ohio in a neighborhood named "Clintonville".  Clintonville is not a village within Columbus, but I believe that they have a Constable that is separate from the Columbus Police, but there is no counsel or mayor or manager for the neighborhood.  When I ask my Fire HD8 for the weather, it provides me with the weather for Clintonville, Wisconsin.  I have checked, and the location assigned to my Alexa account and the HD8 are all correct, but the weather is still displaying Wisconsin.  In order to get my weather, I have to ask for weather in Columbus, Ohio.  Is this just a sweet mystery of life or have I Smurfed up something.....

Thanks,
Kevin
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!